Chapter Seven ~ The Tears of a Rose

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

I rode down the green valleys on Chestnut, enjoying the wind that hit my face with force. The gust of wind blowing my hair behind me. I shivered in delight at the upcoming event happening at exactly noon.

I had washed my hair that morning and wore a beige dress that was loose fitting and didn't show off my boney waist. It was decorated with small flowers of different colors. It flowed down to the end of my legs and fell just above my toes. The sleeves were loose against my arms and were a comfortable fit.

It was my mother's dress.

Wearing it somehow brought me warmth and a feeling that I was being watched over. It made me feel almost safe when I was passing The Mountains of Wozoid. I rode for awhile until I could see the village from atop the valley.

I had let my hair out of its braid and now it fell to my waist in waves. It was more curly than usual because I had washed it.

I made my way into the village and was greeted by the surprised villagers.

"Rose? I can't say it's not lovely to see you but what is it that brought you here?" I heard the baker's wife ask me. Her sleeves were rolled to her elbows and she was kneading a bowl of dough.

"I'm here to visit someone," I told her, smiling as I climbed off Chestnut. I wrapped the reins around my arms and held it in my fist.

"Ah, I see. Well, take this with you," she told me, offering me a hot pastry that smelled of honey and cinnamon and along with it came red apple. My mouth watered and I graciously accepted the pastry with a loud thank you.

When the baker's wife couldn't see me anymore, I wrapped it up in a handkerchief and put it in my saddle bag. I would give it to Lily later. I knew she would enjoy it more than I.

I ate the apple and made my way down the sidewalk, houses on either side

I said my hellos to the few villagers and noticed the lack of children running around, and only spotted one or two. Of course around this time they would be at school. A twinge of disappointment tweaked my heart at the idea of school and how I had already grown past the age of it but then I perked up again when I remembered where I was going.

The Bibliotheca! Oh, and I'd be able to see Nikolai again.

I became giddy at the thought and almost skipped to Milly's stables. I was saddened that I wouldn't be able to see Milly, but I knew we'd see each other again soon. I noticed a redheaded man tending to the horses and my mouth twitched up at the familiar man.

It was Anton, Milly's older brother. He was a tall broad man with red curls and piercing green eyes. He had dark freckles splattered over his nose and were prominent on his pale skin. He wore a white puffy cotton shirt that was tucked into his brown wool pants as well as black boots that were caked with mud and hay.