Welcome Home

Saturday arrived quicker than expected. Mother had everything perfect. The floor was as polished as a mirror, all fireplaces were scrubbed clean, the most important people were coming(rumour had it that even the king himself would be staying the weekend) and the house smelled of comforting cinnamon and vanilla. Pine cone, bells, and candles decked the halls(I'm hilarious) and garlands and wreaths were so plentiful the house unintentionally smelt like pine. A pianist, several violinists, and several trombone players were hired. It seemed like a movie set.

It was such a merry atmosphere that made Christmas spirit hang heavy in the air with the backdrop of anxiety and stress. People ran around, Mother screeching at servants when something was less than perfection. I don't know who she was trying to impress; her returning husband or King George II.

I was mainly trying to avoid everyone as much as possible. I didn't want to get roped into doing some last minute preparations. I only had about an hour left before having to prepare for the party. I sat in the library, the only quiet room left in the bathroom. I was enthralled in my favourite book, The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle; an egotistical man who experiences bad luck and misfortune in current society. It has a cruel humour which I have to admit I am drawn to. It took me awhile to figure out the language of the book, but now that I have gotten it, I've read this book 5 times.

I groaned internally as Margaret walked into the room. She is my cousin and all and I love her but... she's one of those people that are always always in a good mood and ready to talk. I just sort of want to read my book right now. "Ellie, are you ready for the party?!" She asked as she plopped into the chair beside me. Sighing I marked my page and put the book down.

"No, not at the moment but I will be getting ready for it later," I sighed looking out the window at the thick snow outside. Maybe I should go build a snowman. Mother would not be pleased...

"I do not mean physically. I would not be either than. I meant ready for the music, and the important people and the food..." She trailed off whistfully.

"We won't be able to eat much, Margaret. Remember how tight our evening corsets are?" I said bitterely, I'm still upset that I didn't get to finish my chapter.

"I can taste it at least..." She said sadly. She leaned in closer, her mind obviously already onto the next topic, "The King I heard is bringing his son, eighteen years old and I have heard he is very intelligent. But even more importantly he is still looking for a wife. It just so happens I am looking for a husband."

"You really think you'll be able to snare the future king?" I said skeptically.

"You never know what events may happen under the siren's call," she said with a smirk.

"Oh, so you are a siren now?" I smirked,"What about that secret peasant guy you were courting?"

She shook her head from side to side thinking, "Well I am rather fond of him but really what style of life can he provide? A king though... I could get used to that kind of luxury!" She laughed sticking her arm out to admire a rather intricate bracelet, "I am a woman who requires a certain finesse in life."

"If you become the queen I expect lavish gifts to your favourite cousin," I chortled. "And where did you get that bracelet, it's a bit expensive for an everyday wear."

"My mother gave it to me along with a necklace and earrings that match. She told me ' Margarite, utilise seulement ces pour attraper un mari.' Which meant only use these to catch yourself a husband. I guess today is as good of a day as any." She giggled.

"Well then I think you should get ready now. You need the extra time if you are to impress the crown prince." I said trying hard to make her leave so I can continue reading.