The New Mansion

I have seen the finished plans and construction will start soon. The money was coming in faster than I expected, or really anyone expected. I had been collecting profits from my properties for a while now and under consultation from my father I had hired a architect to draft plans for my own estate. Of course I did not have enough money on my own to complete construction but with the a loan from both my father and Charlie(who I reluctantly agreed to have assistance from) I gave the go ahead on the plans. The manor will not be as magnificent as my parent's house or the Warlest's but in my opinion it is impressive. I cannot wait for Abe to get home and see the new house, properties, and baby. Did I mention I was pregnant?

That flu during New Years as it turns out wasn't a flu. Symptoms carried out for weeks, nausea, fatigue, weight gain. Finally Mother insisted that the doctor take a closer look and he found a parasite that had been living in my body since Abe had left, about two months at the time. Two months later and my family is ecstatic, but not for the reasons you would assume. Having grandchildren that they can play with and love? Nope! They are thrilled because "the next generation of the Hemertons has begun!" I think that is also why they are working so hard to get Abe and I financially independent. It would leave a terrible mark on the family name to have their eldest child still relying on her dear mommy and daddy.

Charlie has probably been the most helpful out of everyone. I was reluctant about accepting his help at first, stemming from my distrust of Abe's family, but I couldn't have gotten this far without him. He is the one who found the best architect, haggles for lower prices on workers, and helps my management of my properties. He was also the one who was most excited about the baby. The idea of being an uncle makes him smile cheek to cheek every time someone mentions it. The more I get to know him, the more I realize how great of a guy he is. He has a sense of humour (rare for his upbringing) is willing to try most things and is always willing to spend time with me when I am bored (turns out pregnant woman are barely allowed to do anything)

Margaret I hardly ever see anymore. Her courtship to the prince is going swimmingly. Most of the time she is away, visiting his castles or attending high society events. Whenever she does come back to the estate she always has something new, a gift from her very rich man. A new dress, necklace, personal servant. The prince has even bought her a new bedroom set for the room that she stays in at the estate. I must admit I miss her company, but I don't want to stop her from this path that she is on. I mean every noble and royal woman's dream is to somehow marry herself to the very top of the royal ladder. I can't be the one to stand in her way. But it does seem to be a reoccuring theme in my life for people who I love and who I care for to eventually leave. Not that it is usually their fault; it is life's. But I can't help to always be left with an empty ache in my heart that can never be filled. That hole seems to steadily becoming more spacious. Perhaps one day it will be completely gone and I will join the heartless club.

The bitter winter wind nipped at my nose and caressed my cheeks. Pulling on my hair and my dress it insisted that I come with it. Wonder what would happen if I did? The plot of land, only minutes away from my parents' estate, was barren of all nature, ready to accept any human structure that we were willing to put on it. It wasn't very large; I might be able to set a patio and garden on it after the house is built. But truly, that is all we need. Neither Abe and I enjoy hosting (or attending) parties so I cannot see us having to fit a large number of guests on our land. The river can be seen through a thin line of trees at the back of the estate. I am sure it will be an enjoyable view after everything is finished, but at the moment with the rubble filled plot of land, spindly brown trees twining and bending in unappealing ways, and the stark grey skies touching the brown liquid of the river... well you might say its not exactly what would strike inspiration into the hearts of painters.

But I find myself coming to sit out here more and more often. Its quiet. Its solitary. And it promises a brighter future that to me is the most tantalizing piece of it. My excuse is that I must oversee construction (would not want them stealing my expensive materials) but it is only an excuse. Today is the first day of official construction instead of planning and moving materials. A few men had begun to lay the foundations of the house.

"I thought I would encounter you here," a warm breath spoke into my ear.

"Well it is where I am most, so really I applaud your ingenious," I snort.

"Well I will ignore that verbal irony and thank you for the compliment, Miss Hemerton," he smirked and bowed.

I scowled and blew warm air onto my hands,"It's Mrs Warlest now and you know that, Charlie."

"Well the two of you were barely married for a month before he took off," he said.

"He didn't 'take off' he left for war. Big difference," I muttered as I blew into my hands again.

"Why did you not bring mittens?" He chided.

"I didn't think it would be this cold."

He sighed, "Go back to the estate. I will continue watching the construction."

"No, I am fine, truly."

"You do not want to risk the health of my nephew."

"Or niece. But I do not think my cold hands are going to do anything to the health of my child."

"I insist, go to the estate."

"But-"

"Or I will tell Duchess Hemerton," he taunted.

I looked from the construction going on to down the road and up to Charlie's smirking face. "You would not."

"Oh I will." He said with smug defiance.

I breathed in deeply, something that seemed to be in short supply lately, "Fine, but only for today."

"You my dear are a tough negotiator, but I accept."

As I began walking down the road, I yelled over my shoulder, "I am still not happy about this!"

"Sorry I am just doing my job!"

"And what would that be?"

"To take care of my sister-in-law!"

A fancy carriage was waiting at the steps of the estate. It is not one of ours, ours are not this fancy. That means only one thing: Margaret is home. As soon as I entered the grand entrance, I was forcefully pulled away by a whirl of purple and blonde curls. I didn't even have time to hang up my cloak. Margaret pulled me into a empty side room. Pink peeking through her white makeup and a smile so wide it may break, I knew it must be great news.

"Ellie, Ellie, what i am about to tell you, you cannot tell anyone. Well not yet at least. Oh you are so not going to believe it. I think I may burst at the seams from happiness!" She was literally shaking with anticipation, "George, I mean Prince George has proposed! We have not officially announced the engagement but it is happening. I am so happy. I am going to be queen! Ellie can you believe it?"

"I guess I will be able to say I am related to the queen. Queen Margaret... I don't believe anyone expected that."

"You will be there to be a bridesmaid of course. Oh Ellie there are so many things we must do!"

"We?"

"Of course, you will be helping with every step of it. It will be the wedding of the century!"