11.2

" In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. "

Abraham Lincoln

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

11.2 ; UNFINISHED BUSINESS.

"OKAY, THAT'S GOTTA BE a first. A killer actually leading us to another killer!"

Caroline didn't respond to Derek's comment as she twirled a pencil between her fingers. It had been about forty minutes since they found the Keystone Killer's new note and now they were back at the Philly PD station, trying to figure out their next move.

"Oh, come on," Gideon said, his voice tinted with irony, "we all know they make the best profilers. They admire each other's work."

Elle pursed her lips as she leaned back into her chair. "Yeah, but usually from afar."

Caroline's feet made no sound as she tapped them on the thick carpet. The conference room had the kind of muted quiet that only hovered around reception areas and libraries, the air saturated by smell of cheap coffee.

"Well, at least we got Harbin off the street," Hotch noted. Caroline rubbed her eyes. That had been a major benefit in this whole investigation. While they may not have the Keystone Killer, they certainly caught another monster with his help. "Let's review. What do we know about the Keystone Killer?"

"We know that he's not dead or in jail," Caroline offered as she folded her hands in her lap. "He enjoys the taunting, the game. He likes being in complete control."

"He strangled 7 women in the 1980s, stopped for 18 years, and then began again, suffocating them," Spencer began, "10% of all violent crimes are cause by strangulation. It only takes 11 pounds of pressure to fully incapacitate your victim, and if you hang on for at least 50 seconds, they'll never recover."

"But when you suffocate someone," Caroline murmured, "you have less control over their death. It's actually more passive because the killer doesn't feel the life leaving the body."

Elle shook her head slowly as she listened. "He's changed almost everything that he does."

"Why?" Gideon echoed. "Why? What's he getting out of this new M.O.? Where's his payoff?" He rubbed his hands together. "You got Carla Bromwell. She sustains a significant head injury. Blitz attack suggests disorganization, no self-confidence. This is a guy who walks into 7 victims' homes prior to this. There's no forced entry at any of the scenes. Where's the loss of confidence?"