Deleted Scene: The Reason Percy Doesn't Play Truth or Dare

By popular request...

I caved in. Hope you enjoy!

Let's face it; Percy was a very...impressionable child at first. He was devious, he was sarcastic, but he was extremely impressionable.

The Stoll brothers were ready and excited for their newest mission.

And what a wonderful mission it would be.

Percy was making his way back to his cabin to gather up his things before he left camp for the school year.

The Golden Fleece was now on Thalia's tree where Thalia had just recently been revived.

Percy still didn't truly understand if it was the Fleece's magic or Kronos's that brought Thalia's back, and he wasn't sure if he should start complaining yet or not.

Sure, Thalia was Annabeth's god childhood friend, and, sure, Thalia has sacrificed her life for the camp's safety. That didn't mean Percy had to be excited for her return.

No matter though. Percy was just ready to go back and see his mother. However, that was not until tomorrow, and Percy need something to do until he left or he was going to die of boredom.

"Hey, Percy!"

Why, speak of the devil and he shall appear. Or, more appropriate, they shall appear.

Percy turned to face Travis and Connor Stoll, sons of Hermes. He could never tell what these two were up to, and by the look of plus joy on their faces Percy's day was about to get much more interesting.

"Hey, guys," Percy began. "What's up—"

"Listen, Percy," Travis said as Connor grabbed Percy's arm. "We need some help and figured you would be willing."

Uh oh, Percy thought. "Depends on what you need."

Connor smiled. Percy's face took on a worried expression. "Oh, it's nothing even that difficult. You see, my dearest brother and I wanted to have a, last hurrah, should we say. Before everyone leaves camp. What say you?"

Percy's eyes darted back and forth between the two after he came to a sudden halt. "What is this last hurrah you're thinking of?"

Travis grinned broadly. "Why, truth or dare of course!"

Percy's eyes narrowed. "And you want my assistance, why exactly?"

"Because if you play, everyone else will too!" Connor explained patiently. "Duh. Anyway, are you in?"

Percy looked at them both before sighing and saying, "Fine. When and where?"

Travis grin became feral. "An hour before curfew at the pavilion. C'mon, Connor! We gotta go tell everybody what's happening!"

The two boys ran off leaving Percy staring after them wondering if he made the right choice.

Oh well. Guess I'll find out.

Percy slowly made his way to the pavilion. He was still questioning his decision earlier that day.

When he arrived, Percy saw that quite a crowd had shown up. This would probably be the craziest game of truth or dare he'd ever played.

Percy took a seat by Annabeth. "I wouldn't have thought you'd be the type to play truth or dare."

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Of course I play truth or dare, Seaweed Brain. I can't resist a challenge."

"Now that I can believe," Percy mumbled.

"What?" Annabeth asked sweetly. Percy just smiled sarcastically at her and looked towards the center of the pavilion where Travis and Connor were now standing.

"Camp Half-Blood!" Connor yelled.

"We present to you," Travis continued.

"The first ever," Connor whispered.

"CAMP WIDE TRUTH OR DARE CHALLENGE!" Both yelled as one.

"The rules are simple," Travis stated.

"Ask anyone you want the fateful question, and then state your challenge."

"If the challenged refuses, they are thereby banished from the pavilion."

"The game ends when everyone has either been banished or the harpies chase us out."

"On that note," Travis ended, "let the games begin! Ethan Nakamura, you may start!"

Ethan looked up, surprised, and chose his victim.

The games had started.

It was ten minutes until curfew when it happened.

Percy had been asked the fatal question four times already and answered accordingly to each person who had asked. Annabeth has been in the same boat.

Seventeen campers had been banished, leaving just five.

Travis, Connor, Clarisse, Annabeth, and Percy.

The ultimate death wish for all of them.

Travis had just dared Clarisse to cluck like a chicken instead of speak for the next three turns. While four of them were definitely amused, Clarisse was not. As soon as she delivered her dare to Annabeth, the clucking would begin.

"Princess, truth or dare," Clarisse asked, glaring at Annabeth.

Annabeth, not one to turn down a challenge, answered, "Dare."

Clarisse smiled wickedly. "I dare you to go to the big house and steal Chiron's tail curlers and bring them back here."

Annabeth gulped, slowly stood up, and made her way to the big house. The group watched in amusement and horror as she entered the building.

They watched in pure awe as she exited, tail curlers in hand. Travis and Connor were about to faint on the spot once she sat down again.

"Done," said a smug Annabeth. "Now start clucking, Clarisse."

Clarisse glared at her and kept her mouth firmly shut.

Annabeth smiled even wider after that. She faced Percy. "Percy. Truth or dare."

Percy's thoughts on this matter were simple. It's Annabeth, this will either be awful, or not too bad. He really didn't want to know what questions she could come up with. Three of the banished had left because she had almost brought them to to tears.

"Dare," Percy said confidently.

Annabeth leaned forward threateningly. "I dare you to go to the Pegasi stables, dress like Blackjack, and stay in there until morning."

Percy stared at her in horror. "What about continuing this game?"

Travis and Connor looked at each other. "The harpies are going to be by soon. We'll just have to continue eliminations tomorrow before you all leave."

Annabeth smirked at Percy. "Well? You going to do it? Or chicken out."

They quickly glanced at Clarisse before looking back at Percy.

Percy closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and stood up. He nodded. "See you in the morning then. Looks like I'm hanging out with Blackjack."

He could hear Annabeth's laughter all the way down.

•••

Percy woke suddenly in the morning to the face of his mentor. "Chiron!"

Chiron rose and eyebrow. "Percy. Would you care to explain why you are sleeping in the stables? And wearing all black clothing, a black wig, and a tail?"

Percy's eyes were wide. He'd forgotten about last night. "Umm. Well, funny story..."

He, Annabeth, Clarisse, and the Stolls ended up having last-day kitchen duty together. But they had fun, so it was ok.

No one was mad. No one was attempting to kill anybody. It was great. Percy didn't know how long it would last though.

The only thing Percy knew for certain? He was never playing truth or dare again.