89. Killing me Softly

Violins. That was the first thing that vaguely intruded upon my conscious mind. The soft sound of violins, playing a soft melody. I didn't particularly feel like relaxing, though. The throbbing pain at the back of my head and the ropes tying my arms to the chair I had been dumped on didn't create a very soothing atmosphere.

I blinked. No sharp light stung my eyes. The room was gloomy, the drapes on the windows drawn. Slowly, I lifted my aching head.

"Ah. You're awake."

At the sound of the voice behind me, I stiffened. I knew that voice—knew it all too well.

Dr. Roy Stein stepped around the chair, that irresistible charming smile on his face. His eyes seemed darker than ever.

"Good Evening, Cassy. I hope I didn't hit your head too hard?"

My eyes narrowed. "I've been through worse."

"Glad to hear it." He sighed, and, shaking his head, looked at me sorrowfully. For all the world he looked truly compassionate and full of regret. Except his eyes. His eyes were pure darkness. And damn was it hot! "I never planned to hurt you."

"You didn't?"

"God in Heaven, no! I mean, murder you, yes, of course, but not hurt you. I'm not a barbarian after all."

"Indeed?"

"And I must admit, I have grown quite fond of you over the last couple of months. I need to get rid of you, of course, but the least I can do is to make it quick and painless."

"How considerate of you."

Smiling, he cocked his head. "It is, isn't it? Strange. I don't usually care how I get rid of my prospects. But in your case... I wanted to do this quietly and gently. Maybe a little bit of poison in your coffee—something quick and undetectable. Of course I would have waited long enough so nobody suspected me." The smile vanished, and his dark eyes sparkled. "But now that you stuck your nose into my business I don't have time for anything subtle."

I nodded, thoughtfully. It might not have been the best thing to do vis-à-vis self-preservation, but I could actually see his point of view. Call it professional interest.

"Yes, you have to act quick," I agreed. "But you'll have to come up with a very convincing cause of death, though, one that allows you to get rid of the body. If a coroner sees the bump on my head, they'll get suspicious."

His eyebrows rose. "Err... yes."

"So it was always about the money, then?" I asked. His intimations had peeked my interest. "You do this professionally? Going after women, marrying them and then killing them off?"

"Yes, I do." He was regarding me through narrowed eyes. "You're taking this awfully well. What I normally get to hear from my prospects is more along the lines of 'Oh no, Insert-Fake-Name-Here! This can't be you, Insert-Fake-Name-Here! I love you! Please, let me go! I love you so much', etcetera, etcetera."

I shrugged, one corner of my mouth twitching. "I do love you. But I doubt it would make you untie me if I said it, correct?"

"Quite correct." His black eyes sparkled again, obsidian orbs on fire, and a smile mirroring mine twitched at the corner of his mouth. "You know, this is quite refreshing. Of all of the men and women I've killed, you are truly the most fascinating, Cassy."

The smile at the corner of my mouth grew, and I tentatively tugged at my bindings, testing and preparing. I would have to be quick. "Likewise."

"Especially since I've never had the chance to have this little talk with anyone."