Chapter Two

Reven was one of the four continents of Amaris, and whilst it was not the largest of the continents it held the most territories within its borders; ten countries in total.

When the Anarchy Wars came to an end a century ago, Reven had continued to war with itself even though the other continents had all made peace. In Reven, the mighty Braveyan Empire – who had led the victory against the Anarchist armies – dictated the new borders of all the countries. Due to the many sieges, occupations and influx of refugees during the War the original borders had become skewed, and since the Braveyan Empire had been the one to win the War their word was final.

The Empire had, naturally, secured the largest territory and therefore the largest port in the north of Reven, while also taking full control of the Guarded Road that weaved throughout the entire continent. While one Descendant had been named Emperor of Braveya, the other four Descendants who lived in Reven had returned to their original homes with diminished borders, and the aristocratic society of Andine had struck a deal with the Empire for a lush expanse of territory just outside the Empire, where those of wealth and nobility could dwell. The Anarchists had been pushed out to the south-west – considering they had started the war though, Kaya was of the opinion that they should have been pushed off a cliff instead – and the kingdom of Ender retained its territory in the south to monitor the border with Draxxus, a neighbouring continent where tensions still ran high.

Everyone who didn't want to be of the Empire, who didn't worship the Descendants or the King of Ender, who wanted nothing to do with the Anarchists – and who didn't have enough wealth to live in Andine – relocated to the east coast and created the working-class countries of Klave and Faraday.

But today, only Faraday was considered working-class. Klave was simply considered poor, and it was a country renowned for its corruption – a country that Kaya loosely referred to as home.

Not only that, but Klave was governed by a lord whom all corruption stemmed from, if only because he did nothing to quell it.

Kaya didn't dwell too much on the laws – or lack thereof – that bound Klave, especially when the lawlessness worked to her advantage.

Shipwrecker Bay sprawled out around where Kaya sat amongst the crags, having found a flat enough surface for her to perch on while the rest rose and fell with sharp edges and claw-like peaks. Those crags spread into the water, sinking beneath the surface to create dangerous platforms of rock and coral for several yards out from the shore, giving the bay its name. Waves crashed against the spires nearby, but Kaya was clear of the spray.

Unsurprisingly, the sky was a dull, overcast grey that the ocean seemed to mirror. Shipwrecker Bay was not the type to swim in, especially not with all the sharp pebbles that lined the flatter areas of the shore, and with a constant grey sky that seemed to cover Klave there was nothing appealing about a swim in the frigid waters regardless.

The wind was just as biting, and it howled for a moment as it swept past Kaya with such swiftness she felt it through the folds of her cloak. She closed her eyes against it though, unperturbed, and listened to the quiet fury that seemed to carry along the wind's currents. Her mother had once told her, when she was only eight or nine years old, not to fear the wind; it had been a particularly stormy night, the wind howling through the trees and battering the window shutters as if determined to find a way in. Instead of being frightened, her mother had told her to listen. Be still, she had whispered, and listen – the sky is speaking.

Ever since, Kaya had listened to the wind. She heard its curious whispers in the morning, the way it howled with sorrow and even when it roared with rage. The wind hadn't scared her since.