Chapter Nineteen

Where Klave had the hideous Shipwrecker Bay, Braveya and its capital – Brax City – sprawled out across the jewel known as Half-Moon Bay.

The Empire wasn't, Kaya would admit, conquerors. Nor was the Emperor himself, in fact Kaya considered him the least threatening of the all Descendants in Reven because of his reputation as a recluse and a pacifist, despite his power to conjure lightning at will. He was, after all, the Descendant of Duresh – God of Lightning. Even though he was the Emperor he was rarely seen in public except for important events, leaving the Comavren – a formidable woman in her own right – to run the city and command the imperial army known as the Shields.

The previous Descendant of Duresh had also kept to himself, only maintaining a small retinue of Bloodsworn and advisors, and hadn't deigned to join the war against the Anarchists until Brax City – which he had considered sacred because it was ruled by High Priestesses tied directly to the Old Powers – was invaded. He had then joined the Shield Army, and with his power to conjure lightning they had sent the Anarchists running and reclaimed Brax City.

After, the Descendant became the Emperor and had made a point to retain all the original architecture that could be salvaged, and then extended outward to accommodate the many refugees who had flocked to it in the wake of the war. Having no desire to command an army, however, meant appointing the first ever Comavren.

Despite her thoughts on the Empire, Kaya didn't like Brax City; it was just too perfect. It was as if the sun enriched the streets and the people in it, and despite not boasting the same sort of wealth as the people of the neighbouring country Andine they were just as arrogant and holier-than-thou because of the protection of their perfect Shields.

This didn't stop Kaya from admiring the white buildings that lined the streets, piled like blocks upon one another so that neighbours could converse through the windows without the need to shout. The buildings had colour though, by way of the wooden shutters painted in yellows, blues, greens and pale purple. Adding to this were decorations slowly being hung between streets and off the corners of shop awnings to celebrate the Independence Accords Renewal, which was coupled with the anniversary of Brax City's founding day.

People stopped and stared as Kaya and Brocard followed Lord Lecreux toward Shield Tower on the edge of the bay, who in turn followed two imperial Shields that had personally been sent by the Comavren as escorts. It was under the pretence of respect, but Kaya knew it was to keep Lecreux watched.

The attention from the public was limited though, the stares quick and the sounds of recognition nothing but murmurs amongst the cacophony of city noise. They recognised the image of two crossed blades stitched into the horses' saddles as Klave's emblem, which was mirrored by the two wicked hunting knives strapped against Kaya's back.

She did, admittedly, feel untouchable. It was the same feeling that had fed into her reasons for remaining in Lecreux's service ever since she had started, and she knew she would never have to be back in that place when she was a child, at the mercy of the world.

So long as she did as she was told.

Shield Tower wasn't the home of the Emperor. The Emperor had a small, private castle on the outskirts of the city leaving the Comavren to occupy Shield Tower with her circle of captains. Nor, despite its name, was it a solitary tower.

Kaya could see Shield Tower in the near distance, cresting a cliff that overlooked the bay and the city sprawled out around it. Brax City was located in one of the most naturally well-defended locations in Reven, given the only access points were from the north by sea or from the south through flat land, considering the east and west were mountainous and too difficult to navigate armies through. So Shield Tower stood like a beacon, visible by either land or sea, to anyone who might be approaching, and directly beneath Shield Tower was the naval shipyard, which spread right around the cliff to the other side, out of sight of the city.