Chapter Thirty-Four

The halls of the guest residences had been quiet, save for a few Shields on duty that hadn't been there before Noah fell ill. Kaya learned from one of the housekeepers she bumped into that all the leaders had been called to the Comavren's chambers to discuss recent events and dictate the negotiations of the Independence Accord Renewals. Usually the negotiations were sprawled across a week with banquets and festivities in between, the housekeeper had explained, but given all that had happened in the last couple of days it was likely that the Comavren would forgo such things in the interest of getting the Accords finalised – and sending the leaders home.

It was then that the housekeeper had recognised who she was speaking to, and promptly apologised for speaking out of turn before hurrying away. Kaya hadn't blamed the housekeeper for not recognising her straight away; Kaya almost hadn't recognised herself after she had changed into the clothing left for her.

Her injured wrist was hidden under a long, flared sleeve of a gold robe that was belted by a white, laced corset to match her white leggings, and gold knee-high boots to match the robe. Kaya couldn't remember the last time she had worn such bright, fine clothing but she found that in the face of Lecreux, who had helped her live in darkness and shadow, it was fitting.

So Kaya had then made her way to Lecreux's room and entered so that when Lecreux returned from the meeting, she would be waiting for him. She stood in the middle of the room now, which was decorated similarly to hers but was larger in size, with a designated sunroom and fireplace to the corner, and when she heard the lock click as Lecreux arrived Kaya turned to face him, her expression turning to steel.

Lecreux was, of course, sharply dressed, his silver hair pulled into a high tie so the silken locks spilled down the nape of his neck like a waterfall. His expression gave nothing away when he walked into his room, but he glanced back to the lock in the door after seeing her and said, 'Well, I suppose your lock-picking skills are as fine as ever.'

Kaya twirled a hairpin between her fingers which she had altered to use as a lock-pick. 'It was one of the first tricks I learned.'

'But certainly not your most impressive,' added Lecreux, unperturbed by her presence as he removed his cloak. 'I was wondering when you would return to me, after your little excursion last night.'

'I'm not,' said Kaya. 'Returning to you, that is.'

Lecreux paused where he stood, one hand placing his cloak over the back of an armchair. He seemed to consider her words, and then with deep, disapproving sigh he turned to face her. 'Let me guess, the long-lost Descendant has swayed you with thoughts of grandeur?' Lecreux drawled. 'He certainly caused quite the stir at this morning's meeting, but I couldn't help but think of a little boy trying to fill his father's boots whenever I looked to him. He has a lot to learn, you know.'

'This isn't about Noah,' Kaya said, her grip tightening around the hairpin. 'Did you know what Brocard had been planning?'

Lecreux gracefully seated himself in the armchair, his long, ringed fingers clasping beneath his chin. He seemed to consider his answer, and then with a small, confident smile he said, 'I suppose I can speak truthfully with you, since I know you will not divulge my secrets. Not when I know so many of yours,' he added pointedly.

'The truth is for my benefit only,' Kaya told him through gritted teeth, 'but I take it then that the Comavren has questioned you. And you lied.'

'I misdirected,' Lecreux corrected her. 'But Kaya, you are not wrong. The truth is for your benefit, and it is why I wish for only you to hear it.'

'Go on then,' Kaya said, perching her hands on her hips.

Lecreux loosed a weary sigh, his head tipping into the palm of his hand as he regarded her. 'Not long after you joined my ranks, the Lord of Crime sent me a request that I return you to him, that you were his property. This only made me keener to keep you with me, since he seemed to value you so much. He did not mention anything about you being a Hunter, only that you were his assassin whom he had invested so much in. I debated giving you the choice,' Lecreux added, 'but I decided against it. You didn't seem to particularly care what happened to you, anyway.'