7. I'll have you next to me.

"I have never been in a relationship either, Prof." I replied "Can you show me how that works too?"

His smile fell.

"You can't?" I mock smiled "Oh! I thought you serve all sort of charity cases here" I poked my index finger on his chest.

"I'm sorry" he said "I didn't mean to look down at you. I just...."

"You are just too good at heart" I finished his sentence. When he started to protest I shushed him up "You are. You too white prof. and I'm too black. We need to help each other find a grey ground. I'll take your helping hand prof., as long as you take mine. You know you need it"

He gritted his jaws together. I could see the façade faltering off his face. For the first time since I met him, I could genuinely see his despair.

"You need help" I said

"And you'll help me?" he asked. He looked dead at me, his tone sharp without a hint of the earlier softness.

"Yes" I stared back.

"How?" he smiled sending chills down my body. I was hurting him, I could see it in his eyes.

I looked away.

"You'll take her place?" he tilted his face so I was once again forced to look at him "Is that how you are planning on helping me?"

I wanted to come up with a clever response, something that'll help my case but all I could muster up was a "Yes"

He smiled a sad smile "Go home Jean" he said raising his hands to adjust the collar of my coat "Get away from me before you start pitying yourself like you pity me. If you don't stop pursuing me, you'll soon stand where I'm standing today. I don't want that for you Jean, I wouldn't want that for my worst enemy"

My slow heart thudded. It was almost beating at a human rate and for me; it was fast, very fast.

"Ray" I breathed heavily.

"Good night, Jean" he said before turning away and shutting the door to my face.

*****

Ray:

Its Saturday and I am on my way to Eva's pack. I laugh at the thought. Had someone told me six month ago that I'll be sitting and dining with a bunch of talking wolves, I would have given him a psychiatrist's number.

I bought Dan a bike for his fourth birthday next week. He had one but we obviously couldn't ship that here. I stop the car in front of her gate and move to the back to retrieve Dan's gift. Eva came rushing out. She must have heard the sound of my car.

"He's sleeping" she whispered conspiratorially.

"Thank god" I grinned "Where should I put this?" I held up the wrapped bike with both my hands.

"In the store room" she stared walking towards the house. I followed.

From the corner of my eyes I saw Eva's neighbor crane her next to take a peek at us. I gave her my most dazzling smile. The woman blushed and muttered something to the man next to her.

Eva started walking faster and slammed the door hard once I was in.

"What was that for?" I asked startled.

"They are nosy" She gritted out "Hide that behind the supplies in the store room. I'll make some pasta. You must be hungry"

I put the bike away and then walked back to the kitchen. I took my place at the far end of her kitchen counter and watched her cook.