Chapter Five

I open up the pantry door in search of something to feed my cravings. I spot a box of Fruity Pebbles and my stomach growls in approval. They're up at the top and while I'm not short, I'm not tall. So here I am at two in the morning, in a dark kitchen, in just my underwear and Xander's shirt.

The shorts kept falling off so I ditched them. I continuously say a little prayer that no one will wake up and see me in here. I stand on my tippy toes and stretch for the box. The more I stretch, the higher up Xander's shirt goes up my thighs. Without warning, a hand grabs the box, while the other rests on my hip. I turn around, ready to deck the intruder, coming face to chest with Xander. I look up and give him an innocent smile and he just laughs.

"Hungry?" he asks with amusement.

My stomach responds with a growl and I blush a little.

"I couldn't sleep and my body decided I needed to eat some more," I laugh and brush some hair behind my ear.

"Well, we can't have you hungry. You can tell me why you can't sleep after we get you something to eat." He grabs two bowls out of a cabinet and then two spoons. I grab the milk out of the refrigerator as he pours cereal into the two bowls. He turns on a dim light and then hands me a bowl. He watches me eat a few bites and then asks, "why can't you sleep?"

I avoid eye contact. I can't tell him the real reason why I can't sleep, can I? I can tell him partially. I hate lying and telling half-truths.

"I um, I have nightmares," I confess. My voice cracks as I recall the horrid memories that cause the nightmares.

He takes my bowl and sits it down. He pulls me into him and hugs me. I lean into the hug and instantly feel all the tension leave my body. My wolf purrs and I wrap my arms around his torso.

"You're safe here. I won't let anything happen to you," he assures me.

"I know," I whisper softly. I feel my body start to get heavy as sleep calls me. Xander makes me feel safe and comfortable. He takes my arms and wraps them around my neck.

"Jump when I say, okay?" I nod my head as an answer. "Jump." I jump slightly as his hands grasp my thighs. I wrap my legs around his waist and bury my head into the crook of his neck. I breathe him in and sigh in contentment. One night. One night won't hurt. He walks us to his room and he lays me on his bed. I look up at him and he brushes some hair out of my face.

"I promise I won't do anything. Just sleep," he promises as he pulls the comforter over me. I nod my head and wait for him. He climbs in on the other side and I feel his arms timidly wrap around my waist. I grab his hand and intertwine our fingers, pulling them close to my chest.

"Goodnight Xander," I say as sleep takes over.
***
I come to consciousness wrapped in warmth. I open my eyes coming face to face with Xander. His pillowy lips are slightly parted and his eyes shut. His arms are wrapped around my waist and my leg is slung over his. I blush at our slightly compromising position. I look back up to his face and run my finger across his jawline. I lean forward and kiss his jaw, whispering, "I'm sorry," as I pull away.

I am sorry that things are the way they are. I'm sorry I can't be what he deserves. I'm sorry that I'm going to have to leave soon. I'm sorry that I ever came and put him in this position. I sigh and bury my head back into the crook of his neck. I run my hand along his bicep and trace the curve of the muscle with my finger. His arms tighten around me and I look up to meet his sleepy, blue eyes.

"Good morning, princess," he says groggily. His voice is deep and raspy, laced with sleep. I feel heat rush through my body, down my abdomen, and to my lady part. Morning voice has always been a weakness of mine, but his is my new favorite thing. I know he can smell me but he says nothing, just smirks. Which is even worse. I blush and hide my face.

"Good morning, wolf boy," I murmur against his chest.

He laughs, his chest and stomach shaking. I lightly punch his shoulder, making him laugh even more. I go to move my leg, but his lightning quick reflexes bring his hand to my thigh, holding my leg there.

"I like this position, Annie," he purrs in my ear, making my lower region throb even more. He slowly, teasingly moves his hand up my thigh. He moves from my thigh to my butt and I bite my lip. He squeezes and I can't stop a soft moan from leaving my lips. This gives him some confidence as his hand moves under my shirt and to my bare stomach. His hands move up, the anticipation making my nipples harden. Before he can get there, I come to my senses and look up at him.

"X-Xander," I stutter. He looks back to my eyes and I see the lust swimming in them. I put my hand over his from above the shirt and shake my head. "Please," I plead for him to stop. His eyes soften and he pulls his hand out from under the shirt.

"I'm sorry," he scratches the back of his neck. "My wolf and I got a little excited," he laughs a little.

"It's okay, I shouldn't have encouraged you," I smile at him.

"Encourage me any time you want to," he laughs more.

I roll my eyes and sit up. I see the time on his alarm clock.

"Xander, you know it's one in the afternoon? Don't you have important Alpha Wolf Boy stuff to do?" I look down at the gorgeous man. He smiles at my nickname for him.

"I would cancel anything I have today, to stay here with you," he responds quickly, sincerely.

Guilt washes over me. I'm leading him on. It's going to break him even more if I keep doing this. I mentally slap myself.

"Well, I have plans with Mason today," I lie. He doesn't like that. A growl leaves his lips and he sits up, facing me.

"You have plans with an unmated male, who is obviously in love with you?" He growls every word.

"Xander, he's my friend. Just my friend. Mason and I are nothing more than that. We never will be," I tell him sternly.

"I don't like this, Annie," he admits.

"I'm sorry you don't like it, but he's my friend and I'm not going to stop being friends with him because you feel threatened," I cross my arms over my chest and narrow my eyes at him.

"Fine then. Go," he shouts and gets off the bed. He walks over to his bathroom and slams the door shut.