Chapter Twelve

I run through the woods as I try to push the look on Xander's face from my memory. My heart feels like it's been ripped out of my chest. I can't tell if I'm having a hard time breathing because I'm running or because my heart is broken. Riley is gone. I can't find her. I broke her.

I can't shift, so I continue to run in my human form. Xander didn't chase me. He was too busy destroying the twins house. I took that as my opportunity to get out. I reach the tree line and can see the town. Only a few street light are on and most of the shops are closed. It's late. I put my hands on my knees and take a few deep breaths before standing up.

I walk to the bed and breakfast and pay for a room. I go up to the room and sit on the bed. My body, mind, heart, and soul are numb. I can't think. I feel like a zombie. My phone vibrates and I pick it up to look at it.

Unknown

That was faster than expected. Good job Annie. Meet me at Betty's at 8 am tomorrow. I'll bring the twins. - D

My body shakes as a sob leaves my lips. I've never felt pain like this. Rejecting Xander was the hardest thing I ever had to do. It was also the most painful. I lay on the bed as I continue to sob. I put my hand over my mouth to keep from being too loud. I eventually cry myself to sleep.

My alarm wakes me and I sit up quickly. Which was a mistake, my head is throbbing. The result of crying most of the night. I groan and rub my temples until the pain subsides a little. The pain in my head can not even compare to the pain in my heart. Not heart, soul. Mates bond in the soul. Half of my soul is missing.

I check the time and see that it's 7:30. I take a quick shower and put some clothes on. I check the time again and have five minutes to be at Betty's. I grab my bag and go to give the receptionist my key. After giving her my key, I walk down the street to Betty's. I walk in and see Mason and McKenzie. A wave of relief washes over me and I run over to them. They both hug me and a few tears streak each of our faces.

"He's going to kill you," Mason whispers to me. I pull away and look at the two of them.

"I know," I admit. Mason looks at me like I'm an idiot and I don't dare look at McKenzie. "I couldn't let you two die because of me."

"Beautiful family reunion," a rough looking man says as he walks over to us, "but we're running out of time. Boss wants us to leave now." His eyes are brown, he's a tall man and very muscular. He's not the attractive muscular. More like the repulsive, takes too many steroids muscular.

"You're not D," I laugh sarcastically, "I should have known. Did he think I had some plan to ambush him?"

The man shrugs and I turn back to Mason and McKenzie. I pull Kenzie in for a hug and she cries. I slip my necklace from around my neck and put it around hers. This necklace is from a piece of a moonstone that was my mother's. It has powers to find anything or anyone. I didn't willingly give myself up without a plan.

"This way I'll always be with you. As long as you have this," I point to the necklace and try to reference it's importance with my eyes, "you'll always find me."

I turn to Mason and hug him. "Use the necklace," I whisper softly. "Xander is going to need you two. Part of saving you was to reject him," I wince at my own words and the twins' eyes widen.

"Let's go," the man says gruffly. He grabs my elbow and I yank away from him. "I am perfectly capable of walking on my own," I snap at the man. He looks as if he's going to hit me and then remembers we're in public, thinking better of it.

"Goodbye," I say to the twins then walk away with the man. I follow him to a black car and get in the passenger side.

He gets in the drivers seat and starts the car. We drive into the woods, not once crossing into Xander's territory. Eventually we come upon a small building in the middle of absolutely no where. The man parks the car and gets out. He walks around to my door and opens it. I get out and he goes to grab me again. I shoot him a glare and he decides otherwise. This man may be bigger, taller, and more muscular than me but I am stronger and he knows that.

He opens the door to the small house. I say small house but it's more like a shack. I follow him in and he turns the light on. I remain quiet but raise a questioning eyebrow. He chuckles and hits another switch, making the floor move. I look down and see a stair case where to floor used to be and look up at him. He smirks and starts to walk down them. I take a deep breath and then follow him. Is this what a prisoner on death row feels like as they walk to their destruction?

*****
Small chapter, I know. It's a very important filler though!

What do you think is going to happen next? (Honestly though, I'd love to hear what you think is going to happen!) Will Mason and McKenzie understand Annie's hidden message about the necklace? Will they be able to get Xander under control?

If you are enjoying Female Lycan, don't forget to share, vote, and comment!

Spidey