5 | FIRST VOICE CALL

//

[Nova] GUESS WHAT
[Nova] JAZZ GUESS WHAT GUESS WHAT
[Nova] JAZZZZZZ
[Nova] GET ON GET ON GET ON

[Jasper] What is it?

[Nova] I CAN CONSENT

[Jasper] ...What?

[Nova] well i mean not where i live i can BUT I CAN CONSENT IN MOST STATES

[Jasper] I'm still confused...

[Nova] DUMDUM ITS MY B-DAY
[Nova] I am now 17!!! (along with my twin)

[Jasper] OH.
[Jasper] Happy birthday, Nova and Nova's twin!

[Nova] TY TY
[Nova] dude my mom woke me up at 6 AM because she forgot what kind of cake i wanted and had to ask again

[Jasper] Wow, that's unfortunate.

[Nova] and my grandparents have already called 3 times to sing happy b-day

[Jasper] I'll gladly join in.

[Nova] dude do it. DO IT.
[Nova] i love my sis and all but it sucks sometimes having to share my bday with someone so pessimistic

[Jasper] Wait. You actually want me to call you and sing happy birthday to you?

[Nova] if u do it ill mail u money

[Jasper] Consider it done ma'am.

[Incoming call from Jasper]
[Call accepted]

"Holy shit you're actually--" Nova began, but was cut off by seven different voices, both masculine and feminine.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!" a choir of voices sang surprisingly well. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR NOVA! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!"

Nova felt a warmth flood her cheeks, and realized she was blushing. "Did you seriously get your friends or family in on this?" she asked with a laugh.

Multiple laughs came from the other line. "More like they insisted," a distinctive voice spoke up. Nova felt her breathing hitch once she realized she was actually hearing Jasper's voice for the first time. It was calm, velvety, and soothing. Also, it was deeper pitched than she imagined.

"Does this mean I'm on speaker phone? Jaaaaasper!" Nova whined.

"Alright, alright," Jasper laughed, a beautiful sound that made the girl's heart skip a beat. "There, you're not on speaker phone anymore. And I'm walking away from my family."

"Tell them I said thank you," Nova murmured.

"I will," he promised. "How has your seventeenth birthday been?"

"Eh, the usual. Singing, presents, cake, waking up at six A.M. for said cake," Nova replied lightly.

Jasper chuckled. "Sounds like fun."

"Yup," the white-haired girl hummed. "I like your voice."

"Thank you," he responded. "I like yours."

"Oh, hush you," Nova huffed teasingly. "You're just saying that cause I complimented you."

"No," Jasper denied with a light laugh. "I'm being sincere. Your voice is beautiful like the rest of -- go away, Emmett!"

The young woman laughed. "Tell him I said thanks for the video of you being a baseball dork."

"I will most certainly NOT tell him that!" Jasper growled exasperatedly yet jokingly. "Emmett -- no you cannot see a picture of -- okay, we'll play Mario Kart later, now go awa -- NO!"

There was shuffling on the other line, causing Nova's eyebrows to furrow curiously. She waited silently, knowing they were probably fighting over the phone.

"Hi! I'm Emmett," a different masculine voice came through. "And you're welcome for the video."

"Hey, Emmett," Nova greeted with an amused giggle. "It's nice to hear your voice and all, but I think I hear Jazz crying."

A loud laugh came from Emmett, and there was defiant squawking in the background, probably Jasper trying to deny he was crying.

"Fine, fine," Emmett grumbled. "Here's Jasper."

There was more shuffling noises, then Jasper spoke, "I was not crying."

"Sure you weren't," Nova giggled. "I like your family, they seem fun."

"Yeah, over the phone they do. In real life? Not so much," Jasper grunted.

Nova perked up when a voice called her from downstairs. With a sigh, she mumbled, "I gotta go. It's probably my mom getting ready to take my sister and I to a restaurant or something."

"Oh. Well, goodbye, Nova," Jasper murmured. "Text later?"

"Of course."

[Call ended]

//