Ash

Thank you guys so much for the nominations!!! Here is the update I promised :) (it's not edited btw so feel free to point out glaring mistakes)

******

I stand completely surrounded by guards, my face burning under their harsh gazes. I try to ignore the way they nudge each other but then I overhear a few words and wince.

"That's enough!" A booming voice growls.

I glance up at Queen Zari. Her eyes are flaming red as she glares down at us. "Ash come with me please," she says, her voice instantly softer.

I start to head up the stairs with a small sigh.

"—dragon hunting filth," someone spits and I flinch.

"What did I just say?" Queen Zari snarls, suddenly in the guard's face.

He whimpers slightly and backs off, casting his gaze to the floor. "Please forgive me," he murmurs.

She waves her hand. "Get out of here," she snaps.

The guards vanish in seconds, leaving me alone with the Queen. She sighs heavily, turning to me. "I'm sorry Ash, they're still stuck in the past, they don't know how to move on," she says.

I nod slowly. "It's fine, I don't blame them. What did you call me here for?" I ask, desperate to change the subject.

"I need you to bring a few messages from my son and I, they'll be going to the wolves."

I follow her to her office, subconsciously rubbing my neck. They'll forget about it eventually, Cassiel says.

Maybe, but not anytime soon, I mutter.

"So we just have a few letters for you to bring and then when you come back I have a new job for you."

My interest peaks. "What new job?"

She smirks as she walks into her office. I recognize her son lounging on the couch inside but not the young woman sitting on the desk. From her scent I'd guess she's a witch, a powerful one too.

The Queen sits in the chair behind her desk and the witch moves to the couch. "I just spent the last few days bringing six juvenile dragons back to the territory. They're restless from staying within the Circle but I think if they start training then they'll behave a lot better."

"Okay, and?"

"I want you to teach them Ash. I've seen you fight, you're trained better than every single one of the guards and you are excellent with various weapons. Also these dragons are just kids, the oldest is barely 20 so they don't remember what it was like and they won't know anything about your history," she explains.

I shrug a little. "I guess. Finally put those skills to good use I suppose," I murmur.

She smiles at me. "Good, you can start as soon as you get back. Kaine?"

I turn as her son stands and hands me a small stack of envelopes. "So there's one in here for my brother and another for my sister. And there's also one for my father and for a family friend—do you know Taylor?" he asks.

I shake my head. "I will ask one of your siblings," I tell him, taking the stack.

"Thanks Ash," he grins, clapping me on the shoulder before disappearing, the witch following close behind him.

I start to leave but the Queen stops me. "In that letter I offered Jaxon the chance to come to the Circle, if he decides to return, can you do me a favor and travel with him? He's only made the trips a few times and if he were to get lost or attacked—I don't think I'd be able to live with myself."