Jaxon

Someone asked me to stop with the "gayish nonsense", so here you go :)

*********

"What the hell just happened?" Ash whispers.

I shrug a little. "I have no idea but that bastard died screaming so I don't really care," I growl.

"Fair enough," he mutters with a heavy sigh. "Are you doing okay?"

I find myself staring at the ground until it goes fuzzy. "I don't know," I admit.

He grabs my hand and interlaces our fingers, leaning his head on my shoulder. "Honestly that's probably a good thing," he murmurs.

Kaine suddenly walks toward us, his expression unreadable. "Thank you," he says with a tiny smile.

I frown. "For what?"

"Defending my mate's honor, what he said was―"

"Disgusting," I growl. "I know you would have done something too but I just snapped. I mean you did the same for Ash and I yesterday."

"Yeah," he sighs. He looks like he's going to say something else but then he turns away and returns to his mate. Syrra is talking to my mother, both with broken smiles on their lips.

Peter's body still lies on the ground behind them. His face is disfigured and bloody and his chest is ripped open. His limbs are splayed out at awkward angles, some of them bent completely backwards. His eyes stare up into the darkening sky, dull and lifeless.

"He deserved worse," Ash growls.

"Much worse," I sigh.

"Jaxon," I hear my mother say. She looks much calmer than a few moments ago but her eyes are still fiery red. "The warriors will bring their bodies in the morning. The farewell ceremony is tomorrow, you two should get some sleep," she mutters.

I nod slowly. "Yeah that's probably a good idea."

I don't start moving though until Ash squeezes my hand. My legs feel like lead as I follow him to our room.

My eyes immediately go to the fire blazing in the hearth. The flame is so bright I have to squint. "That's weird," I whisper to myself as I flick my wrist to stifle the flames. "I'm going to get cleaned up really quick."

Ash nods and moves to the closet as I head to the bathroom. My eyes lock onto the black water in the pool and I frown. "Or not?" I murmur. "Ash do you have any idea what the hell this is?"

He sticks his head in the bathroom. "Uh, I think it might be uh―no I don't know," he finally shrugs.

"Okay then," I mutter as I walk to the closet instead. I pull off my clothes and put on a clean pair of boxers.

Ash sits on the couch, staring out the window as I go back to the bathroom to brush my teeth. The water from the sink is tinted black too but otherwise it seems to be normal.

"Jax is there any food in here?"

"Yeah in the mini fridge by the couch," I tell him as I flop face-first onto the bed.

"Okay how is this machine even working out here? I understand in the wolf pack since it's next to a human town but here?"

I smile in amusement at the confusion in his voice. "There's a reason the alliance with the witches was so important. Magic can make just about anything possible," I explain, my voice muffled by the blankets.

The bed bounces a little beneath me when Ash climbs on. "Jax?"

I make a noise into the blankets.