P U R E

"She flirted with life and life flirted right back with her, as if the universe became more alive just for her and everything felt her glow, in the dew, in the stars, in the colours of the sky, it all shone for her, bright as it could in the hopes to catch her eye."

~Atticus~

~🎀~

G E N T L E  K N O C K I N G  on the large wooden doors of the room woke Freya from her deep sleep. She shifted under her warm, heavy blankets, blinking a few times as her eyes tried to adjust to the bright morning light.

The knocking sounded again and the girl pushed her lethargic body into a sitting position, pulling down the pastel pink nightgown that had pooled around her hips as she slept and rubbed at her honey brown eyes with both fists. "Come in," she called out, clearing her voice to rid it of its usual morning croak.

A head popped around the corner of the doors, blue eyes settling on the girl's small form which was swamped by the king-sized bed and mounds of pillows and blankets. "Good morning, Miss Karol," the maid said as she stepped foot inside the bedroom, a silver tray laid in her arms. "I hope you slept well."

A grin lit up Freya's features as she spoke. "Morning Kendra," she chirped in a melodic voice. "I slept very well, thank you. How about you?"

Kendra's polite smile turned genuine as she looked down at her. The maid had always held a soft spot for the precious, innocent girl. She was different from the rest of her hard-headed family. "I slept wonderfully, Miss," Kendra said truthfully. The rest of the girl's family may not have been particularly kind to her, but the job paid well and the bedroom she was given was much more luxurious than what others in her line of work received.

"Good," Freya beamed, eagerly hopping out of bed as Kendra set the tray down on the small table in front of the right side window. "What's for breakfast today?"

"Waffles with strawberries, whipped cream, and melted chocolate," Kendra took the lid off the tray, showcasing her work. "Your favourite."

A predictable blush coated the young girl's cheeks as she shyly stared down at her hands. "You didn't have to do that for me, Kendra," Freya said softly. Kendra shrugged in response. She knew the girl would have been ecstatic with a simple bowl of cereal, but that was exactly why the girl's old maid went to the extra lengths to make her favourite foods.

Freya couldn't hide the grin that had spread over her lips at the smell of food. She skipped over the table, seating herself instead of waiting for Kendra to pull her seat out for her, and excitedly dug in.

Kendra smiled at the young girl before exiting the room. Freya didn't notice her favourite maid leave the room as she stuffed her mouth with a fresh strawberry, completely distracted. Her mind shifted through the clothes she had in her expensive closet, trying to pick out an outfit for the first day of the school year.

Her parents had attempted to convince her that a private tutor in the safety of their own home would be much better than the local public school, but Freya refused. She was not so ignorant as to not realise that her family was wealthy, and where most people would have flaunted that fact, it embarrassed her. She had already been given a large advantage in life because of the money and status her family held, so she preferred to be normal in at least one aspect of her life.

So, school it was.

Freya quickly finished her breakfast in record time, rushing over her closet as she had finally put together an outfit in her mind. She slid open the doors to her spacious walk-in closet, her love for the colour pink suddenly becoming obvious.