My World Shatters

"Hi," I said to Alice as I sat down on the couch next to her, rubbing the crust from my eyes. I tucked my knees into my chest and held onto them, pulling them closer into my body. I pulled my sleeves of my hoodie down my arms trying to conserve the heat.

"Sweetheart, you need a shower." She put her book down and raised an eyebrow at me.

"I know; I just don't feel like doing anything," I groaned.

Alice looked me up and down and stood up. "I'm going to make dinner, if you feel in the mood to eat."

I stretched my back and nodded.

"Why don't you take a walk?" she asked. "I could use some bread from the market. It'll be good for you, and maybe you can even get some ice cream or something and we can have a movie night."

I shrugged and took in a deep breath. I don't want to agree with her, but I know she's right.

I let out my breath in a huge sigh and slowly stood up. "Okay," I said, I made my way up stairs to take a shower. Turning the handle of the bathroom door I proceeded into the room. I looked into the mirror to see dark circles under my eyes and overly messy hair. Turning on the faucet I felt the immediate cold water hit my skin, I smiled as it turned warmer. Stepping into the shower and feeling the water run all over my body was such a nice relief. I made sure I had music playing before I got in, Alice made sure to create me a new, cheerful playlist on my phone. 

I quickly showered, towel dried my long, blonde hair, and applied just a little makeup to feel slightly pretty. Grabbing clothes and changing quickly I then made my way downstairs to say bye to Alice before making my way to the front door.

As I reached for the handle, I realized just what I was doing. I was about to leave the house for the first time in days. I'm proud of myself.

I opened the door and walked outside down the dull, gray pavement on the way to the store. I gazed up at the cheerful, crystal-blue sky and thought about what it would look like if I were happy. Taking the biggest breath of fresh air I could possibly take, I exhaled and smiled slightly. I looked down at my feet, my faded black Vans kicking rocks down the sidewalk. I hear some footsteps ahead of me, so I slowly turn my head up to realize that there was a boy walking towards me. But it wasn't just any boy. That was my boy--or my ex-boy. Ethan was almost right in front of me. I stopped dead in my tracks, my eyes wider than they ever have been before

"Marie, I was just going to your house," he exclaimed, running his fingers through his shaggy, dark brown hair.

"Ethan, what the hell." I choked out. I nervously twirled my wet hair around my bony fingers and looked down at the ground.

"I really wanted to talk to you." He moved closer, put his hand on my waist, and gently pulled me towards him.