Chapter 18: "That was cheeky."

A N D R E W D A L T O N

Before Shortcake came to school this morning, I made an announcement in the school parking lot.

I hopped up onto the back of Jacob's truck, my makeshift stage.

"Hey, everyone!" I shouted, cupping my hands around my mouth to project my voice. Everyone turned their heads toward me and slowly walked up to the truck.

"You know those rumors about me and Sophie Wilkins sleeping together? They're fake, it was a prank."

Many whispers became apparent around me and they turned their heads back towards me as I continued.

"You should really get your facts straight before calling someone a slut or hoe. If I catch you sending a dirty look towards her, we're gonna have a little talk," I said intensely.

Guilt and fear took over their features and they nodded quickly dispersing after.

I quietly chuckle at the memory and look at Shortcake, hard at work scrubbing the bottom part of her locker.

S O P H I E   W I L K I N S

We scrub at my locker vigorously and soon, almost all of the graffiti is gone.

"Did you really have to kick everyone out of the hall?"

"Yeah, so they wouldn't see this." He flicks his rag towards me and droplets of soapy water splatter on me. He laughs and I inhale a sharp breath of shock before laughing with him.

"You're gonna regret that, Dalton," I said slyly. He quickly runs down the hall chuckling. I throw my wet rag at him and it hits his back.

As I reach down for another rag to chase him with, I remembered that he only had an extra rag in the bucket and my hand was dipped in the soapy liquid that was left in the bucket. He runs back and bends down so that we're at the same eye level. 

"It looks like you're out of ammo, Shortcake. What are you gonna do now?" He taunts playfully with a cheesy grin.

"This." I bend down quickly and grab the bucket. I dump the water onto his head and it completely soaked him; hair, body, clothes, everything.

I laugh hysterically as he straightens up and shakes his head like a dog. He wipes the water away from his eyes and a playful glint shines in his eyes.

"Come here, Shortcake," he teases, arms wide open. I quickly dart down the hall and make a U-turn, a giant grin spread across my face. I slip on a big puddle of water and begin to fall forward.

I close my eyes and wait to feel the pain on my face as it's about to make contacts with the floor, but he grabs my arm and spins me into his chest. He hugs me with his wet body, encasing me in his large frame, as I squirm in his arms to break free.

"Get off of me, you're all wet!" I complain playfully.

"Hmm, I wonder why," Andrew notes sarcastically. He bends down slightly and wraps his arm behind my thighs, slinging me over his shoulder effortlessly like a sack of potatoes.