Chapter 50: Eight Letters, Three Words

S O P H I E   W I L K I N S

The bittersweet feeling of euphoria and apprehension overwhelms me. Graduation was only a week away.

"Wow, can you believe that there's only one more week left for us here, then we're gone for good," Bree sighs as we walk down the corridor, scanning the hall as she reminisces the memories.

"I know, it's pretty surreal."

"I don't know if I should feel elated or depressed," Bree chuckles. "I just want to get finals over with, but at the same time, I wish I could stop time for a bit, you know? Just to cherish the memories for one more second."

Bree's words leave a heavy and nostalgic feeling to linger in the air. Although these hallways haven't always brought me fond memories, it still played an important chapter in my life. Even though I've never been close to most of the people around us roaming the hallways, these people are the ones that I've grown up with and have shaped me into the person I am today.

As we near the English room, the flashback of Andrew catching me in the middle of the hall when I rammed into him creeps into my mind. The memory leaves a dense yet serene feeling within my chest. The simple memory spirals into more, and the heavy feeling starts to overtake the tranquil one.

My inner monologue begins to speak: Just talk to him before it's too late, Sophie. Maybe Bree was right, and there's more to the story than you think.

The gears in my head start to shift as I consider it, but my thoughts are interrupted as the bell rings, and I take my seat next to Bree. Mrs. Stratford, the English teacher, begins her lesson. I glance out the doorframe at the spot where I first began to harbor feelings for Andrew.

I continue to consider giving Andrew a chance to explain himself, but for now, all I could say was—

Thanks for the memories, Andrew.

***********

"Sophie?" A low voice questions cautiously. Immediately, the familiar cologne wafts into my nose and I tilt my head back to meet his eyes properly for the first time in weeks. His eyes are bloodshot and his fawn hair is disheveled, a few strands spilling onto his forehead.

The once bustling hall is now empty as most of the students have migrated to the parking lot or other areas around campus.

"Hey, Andrew," I let out breathily.

"How have you been?" His tone light as he runs a hand through his hair in an attempt to smooth it out a bit before his hand hooks around the back of his neck.

"Fine, I guess. But I've had better days," A soft, tight-lipped smile forms on my lips. I close my locker and face my body towards him with my bag slung on my shoulder and some books in hand, giving Andrew my full attention.

"I understand if you can't forgive me now, or ever; but please, just hear me out. I don't want to end the school year with us on bad terms," he begs, eyebrows crease together.

My conscious urges me to follow my heart instead of listening to my brain. I take a deep breath and look down at my toes before back up to him, "Okay."

"Please, Sophie. Just—" He pauses as his brain begins to process what I had said.

"Wait, you said yes, right?" His eyes flicker with hope and delight.

I nod and a smile grows across his cheeks. My face mirrors his expression as I laugh at his delayed reaction. He steps forward and picks me up effortlessly. A small squeal followed by a giggle escapes my lips as he twirls around several times with me, still trapped in his embrace.