Chapter 48: "Help me."

S O P H I E   W I L K I N S

These past few weeks have been agonizing to say the least. In the beginning, Andrew had sent numerous texts, apologizing for not telling me sooner and saying that he won't leave me alone until I give him a chance to explain. But as headstrong as I am, I continued to ignore his pleas and avoided him throughout the halls.

Eventually, it had calmed down a bit where he wouldn't send as many messages, but he was still persistent on getting me to listen. Bree insisted on deleting his number from my phone for good, and when I refused, she suggested that I at least block it. But somehow I couldn't even bring myself to do that, so I inevitably put him on Do Not Disturb.

A part of me always wanted to listen to his explanation, but I felt betrayed and was too afraid to hear what he has to say.

He was my first everything. I knew that Andrew would always hold a piece of my heart, and a piece of him would always be stowed away in my heart too. I'd rather always hold onto the hope that he may have liked me, than to find out that he was playing me the entire time. Even if it's a bit juvenile, that small glimpse of hope is what has been keeping me from falling apart completely.

On top of the drama that's been unfolding, graduation's also on the rise. If this reality show isn't the thing that kills my spirit, the piles of homework the teachers are giving will. I'm practically drowning in assignments, me and Bree driving down to Starlight daily to buy coffees to fuel our all-nighters.

"Miss Wilkins," a female voice calls out, snapping me out of my day dream. "If you find the material that I'm reviewing as boring, I assume that you know what the answer is?" Ms. Mendez, the cranky AP Biology teacher, glares.

Shit. I wasn't paying attention.

"Um, ATP?" I answer, earning a few snickers from the other students.

"The question was What are the three domains of life?"

One of the other students in the class raises their hand and answers the question, "Bacteria, Eukarya and Archaea."

"Thank you," she smiles at them then turns back to give me a stern look.

"Please pay attention, Miss Wilkins." She spins around and walks back towards the board. Bree gives me a soft smile and I give her a help me look.

After escaping that hell hole, Bree and I saunter to our usual lunch spot. Already waiting at the table, Bryan and a few of his buddies from drama are sat at the table. Bree takes the seat beside Bryan, and I take the seat next to Bree. She cuddles into him, and he gives her a kiss on the forehead.

The sight warms yet disgusts me at the same time. A feeling of envy overcomes me, but I ignore it and choose to munch on my egg salad sandwich instead.

I briskly glance over to Andrew's table and see him pull out a chair that's facing my direction. As much as possible, I discreetly observe his composure. An emotionless expression now occupied the spot where a smile was constantly plastered across his face.

His friends were in the middle of a conversation, smiling and laughing at their banter, but he kept his gaze down and picked at his food. Heavy bags and dark circles lined the skin under his eyes, appearing as if he hasn't sleep in days. Those enchanting dark brown eyes, that were once lit with life and emotion, were now barren, harsh and distant.

Then, as if sensing my eyes boring into him, he glances up and our eyes connect for the first time in several weeks. A glimmer of hope flashes in his eyes, but I tear my gaze away, inhaling a deep breath at the intensity.