Chapter 14

"Audrey have you seen or talked to James recently?" Declan asked.

Audrey looked up, her arms resting on the edge of the pool, her legs treading water.

"No, why?"

"He wasn't at my party last night and I'm worried about the guy. He's missed practice everyday for the last four days and that is more shocking than him missing my party."

Audrey felt her stomach knot up. It had been four days since she last saw James and she had told him to leave. She hadn't thought her rejection would effect him, he wasn't one to really take anything to heart. She had been spending most of her time with Charlotte and Lucas putting thoughts of James into the back of her mind.

"Have you called him?"

"His phones off?"

"Have you been by his place?"

"Paul and I went over there yesterday, his butler said he hadn't seen James out of his room."

"I wonder if he's sick?" Audrey said.

"I didn't think to ask, James never gets sick."

"Whose sick?" Charlotte asked, sitting up from her lounge chair.

"We think James might be sick." Declan said.

"Whose sick?" Lucas asked, walking into the pool area.

Audrey looked up at him and smiled, but kept it from getting too big, not wanting seem over eager. He smiled back.

"James."

"He's sick?"

"Whose sick?" Paul asked, coming out of the house.

Audrey laughed.

"Did I enter a sitcom or something?" Audrey joked.

"I was just asking a question." Paul said innocently.

"It's fine, we think James might be sick."

"Really? Maybe that's why he's missed practice that last few days."

"We should go visit him and see what's going on." Charlotte said.

"I'm game." Lucas said.

"Okay let's go, we can take my car." Declan said.

"I just got to change." Charlotte said, walking to the house.

Audrey pulled herself from the pool and smiled as Lucas showed up next to her, holding a towel.

"Thanks." Audrey said, sweetly.

She wrapped the towel around herself and walked towards her apartment. She turned and glanced at Lucas, happy to see he was watching her, before walking out of the gate.

The last few days she had found herself pulling up old tricks Charlotte had taught her, like always talking a little quieter at times so the boy would have to lean in, and glancing back as you walked away just to catch their eye one more time. Audrey wasn't sure who exactly Lucas was and if any of what she was doing worked but she knew she would keep doing it until she found out who he was.

_________________

James's house always shocked Audrey, the size of it reminded her of old English manor that had thousands of rooms and hundreds of servants working around the clock. His house was at the end of the neighborhood and had the best view, three sides of the house facing the ocean. Paul knocked on the door and a tall man in an impeccable suit opened the door.

"Good afternoon sir, may I help you?" The man asked.

"Yes, we're here to see James, we want to check on him."