Chapter 25

Audrey's eyes wondered as she ran, watching the quietness of the houses, early in the morning. Her eyes caught a shift of light behind her and she heard the sound of running footsteps. She looked to her left and saw Lucas's bobbing head smiling at her.

"Good morning." He said, his breathes even.

"Hi." Audrey said, turning her attention back to the road.

"How's it going?"

"Fine."

"Interesting that you wear headphones but aren't listening to anything."

"It's to ward off unwanted conversation."

"I see, such as me."

"You could say that."

Lucas stopped running and held Audrey's arm to stop her.

"You mind?" Audrey said.

"Look Audrey, what are you going to do, pretend that you like me and kiss me then go to mildly hating me when your not playing a role?"

"The thought had crossed my mind."

Lucas ignored the comment and kept talking.

"I read your file, you're a great soldier and there is probably no one better for this job than you but it is your first big job. So newbie listen to me, part of you will come through in your work and that's a fact you can't avoid. Trying to be two completely different people doesn't last long, so you make friends easy and enjoy the people working with you cause if you don't do that then people will eventually see through the facade. Believe me living two lifestyles doesn't last. So when you're ready to talk to someone who understands, guess what, I'm here."

Lucas jogged off in the opposite direction, leaving Audrey dumbfounded on the sidewalk unable to move. She stood there scowling for a minute, annoyed with Lucas's words. She eventually started running again, his words bouncing along side her. She made her way back to the house arguing with his words the whole way there.

"Hey Audrey, how'd your run go?" Peter said.

Audrey stopped short, surprised.

"Good." Audrey said, distractedly.

"It's a beautiful day."

"It is."

"You okay?"

She forced a smile.

"Just thinking."

"I'll see you around."

Peter walked back into the stables and Audrey moved to the apartment. Before she showered she sent a request for Jamison's file.

She sat on her bed, her wet hair and the computer open in front of her. The file was open and she started reading.

Jamison Leo Carter birthday July 4, 1997. Son to Michael and Nora Carter. Nora Carter runs the New York branch of the CIA and Michael Carter was the New York City police chief before he passed away 3 years previously, after a drug bust went wrong. Jamison joined the CIA after his senior year of high and a summer of military training. He is fluent in Spanish, Russian, Italian, French, and German. He was the top of his class in hand to hand combat and a top marks man. After impressing his CIA shadow his first week of training he was placed on the Mathieson case and was the key to taking the son, Xavier Mathieson, down. Jamison along side Grace and Joy Jenkins captured Amelia LeDeon the art forger in New York. Three months later Jamison aided in the take down of the Ricardo cartel in Miami. Jamison was undercover for a year in Washington DC and was responsible for the take down of corrupt senator Daniels Kelly. Jamison was the key witness in the Valenta case trial.