Fairytale of New York

Jordan

In the storage closet downstairs, I dug out the biggest suitcase I could find. I wasn't sure whose suitcase it was, but it wasn't mine. I really never went anywhere except to the hospital so there was no reason why I'd need a suitcase. Anyway, whosoever it was I was sure they wouldn't mind. And too bad if they did. I emptied the contents of my dresser drawers into the suitcase. I then shoved a bunch of stuff in my backpack, mostly books (in case I needed them) in addition to my laptop.

"It looks like you've packed up your entire room," Kelly said, standing in my doorway. "How long do you plan on going for?" I only shrugged because I wasn't sure. I was supposed to be coming back on January 2nd, but what if I wanted to stay longer? "You bought a return ticket, didn't you?" I half-nodded. "If you plan on staying there, you have to tell Tim."

"Stop saying that," I said. "I will once I'm on the plane. Anyway, I don't know if I'm staying there. We'll see how it goes."

"You'll see how it goes?" Kelly said. "That doesn't sound like you at all. Have you been eating special brownies again?"

"No," I said. I hadn't had any special brownies in a long time.

Before leaving the house, I mapped out my entire trip. Once I landed at Heathrow, I'd take the Piccadilly subway (or tube) to Kings Cross station. From there, I'd head over to Jamie's street, Donegal Street, which was about a fifteen minute walk away, from what I researched online.

I'll bring my music and everything will be fine, I told myself. Fenway Park is behind me. I can do this. I WILL DO IT and no one can stop me.

As much as I wanted to tell Jamie, I didn't. First, I wanted to surprise him, second I was afraid he'd try to talk me out of it, and third he'd tell Tim who would definitely do what he could to stop me. No one knew except for Kelly.

As if I were a little kid, Kelly walked me into the airport, my first time ever in one. There were noises and people and all kinds of clatter everywhere. Talk about complete sensory overload: voices mumbling over loud speakers that no one could understand, computer screens everywhere with departure times, all in tiny letters that were nearly impossible to read. My headphones were useful in drowning out the noise.

"Are you okay?" Kelly asked as I stared up at the computer screen, searching for my flight number and corresponding gate.

"Um...uh...I'm okay," I said, clutching onto the straps of my backpack.

I can do this.

Kelly stayed with me until I checked in, noticeably reluctant to leave.

"Okay, so you'll have to go through those machines over there," she said, pointing to the security checkpoint, something I was sure I would have figured out on my own. "You'll have to take your shoes off and..."

"I know," I said. "You better go. I'm okay. Thanks for the ride."

"Yeah, no problem," she said and hugged me tightly like a worried mother even though she wasn't old enough to be my mother.

"I'm going to be okay," I assured her.

After Kelly left, my eyes scanned the airport, searching for a place to trade in some dollars for pounds. I read about it online. This was the first time I had ever done anything on my own.

Before heading through security, I sat down to count my money and double check that I still had my passport. I was paranoid of losing it. And then I made sure I had my phone charger; that was really important. I knew I was at greater risk of having a freak out if my phone died. I also had a backup battery that I charged before leaving. My knees bounced up and down in anticipation of my flight, excited and nervous at the same time. I was happy I got a window seat.