[24] Bruised Feelings.

A/N: another update for you guys! *pats myself on the back* I'm on a roll!

- - -

The whole plane ride to Dubai, Barqat didn't speak a word to Dunia. He didn't even glance at her way. This irritated her because she literally did nothing to irk him, she didn't even drown herself, it was an accident! Honestly, she's shocked she didn't attempt to drown herself after hearing that their marriage is a goddamn phoney.

The flight was one day and 10 hours with two different short stops at different airports. Dunia had no one to talk to during that time because the time difference from home and wherever she was never matched up. Plus, Barqat didn't utter a single word to her throughout the trip.

Finally, they land in Dubai and James helps her inside their car, not just any car, it's a Rolls Royce Phantom 8. Before Dunia could even ask about Barqat, James proceeds to tell her that Barqat will be joining her in their suite later tonight as he has some last minute work related call.

I thought he wasn't going to do any work during this trip... But I guess technically we weren't supposed to start our Dubai trip until next week...

James drives her to, what she believes is the Burj Khalifa, she wonders why they would be here. James stops the car in front of the entrance and opens her passenger door.

"What are we doing here? Is this the Burj Khalifa?" Dunia asks.

"Yes, it is the Burj Khalifa. Your suite with Mr. Barqat Sheikh is in the Burj Khalifa, Ma'am."

"WHAT?" That came out louder than she wanted it.

"Yes, Ma'am. The Sheikhs have their own apartments here near the top floor."

"You're joking, James. This must cost them a fortune. There's no way!"

James smiles at Dunia's innocence for the luxurious life of the rich. "They do not stand for anything less." is all he says.

Dunia's head almost starts spinning when she enters the lobby, all the glitz and the glam is really starting to dawn on her. That's when she starts to feel a little small, as if she shouldn't be mixing in the world of the wealthy and powerful. This is not who she is, she doesn't know how their lifestyle works, it makes her almost sad. She doesn't think she can ever meet up to their expectations.

Once in the elevator, Dunia asks James which floor they're staying at, James clicks 152.

"What... Why so high up..."

"Is there something wrong, Ma'am?" he asks with concern.

"I'm afraid of heights. I can't live that high up. It freaks me out." Dunia feels a little lightheaded thinking about the fact that they will be staying at one of the highest floors possible.

"You will be fine, Ma'am. You can close the curtains with a push of a button. It's really beautiful up there." James reassures her.

Once they reach their floor, Dunia realizes James wasn't joking when he said this place is beautiful. She looks out the window to see the lit-up downtown Dubai. It's a breathtaking view from up here. Although, it made her legs feel like jelly when she looked down, that's a long way down... I would splatter flat just like a bug on a windshield, if I fell...

The apartment is huge and spacious. It is nothing less than luxury. The three spacious bedrooms all have a view of downtown Dubai. Is this what rich people spend their money on? Because honestly, I'm not complaining... Dunia thinks to herself.

• • •

For the past few days, Dunia hasn't seen Barqat around. He has the tendency to disappear for a bit and reappear out of nowhere. So, she hopes he'll just show up and leave his silent treatment behind.

James had asked her a few times if she would like to go out and tour the city with him but no matter how badly Dunia wanted to go, she thought it would be best if Barqat was around during the tour.

It's not that she didn't trust James, he's the only one who seems to care about her enough to check up on her at the moment, but she also barely knows him. After that incident at the office with Adam, she's more cautious.

On the fourth night at Burj Khalifa, Dunia wakes up to noises coming from one of the guest bedrooms. She freaks out and picks up her iPhone to text James because he was also living in one of the floors. When she opens her screen, she sees a text from James saying that Barqat is back and James had dropped him off at their suite an hour ago. It's 2:30 in the morning right now.

"It's probably just Barqat..." She tells herself. "I'll go check to make sure, just to calm my nerves."

She slips out of her bed and makes her way to the room on the other side of the apartment. She can hear mumbled voices, but couldn't make out the words. She places her ear against the door to hear better.

"I love it when you touch me like that..." A woman giggles.

"Oh, yeah, darling? Oh, how I've missed you and this pretty little body of yours." Barqat's voice is dripping with enticement.

He called her darling... He missed her pretty little body... Dunia heart sinks, it sinks to the pit of her stomach. She knows exactly what's going on behind the closed doors but she keeps on listening.

"I thought it was over when you married that girl. I really thought you were off the market." Dunia can hear the pout in her voice.

"Darling, you're clearly married but it seems like you're still on the market." Barqat makes a sly remark.

The woman laughs, her laugh is so flirtatious and girly. Her laughs also makes it sound like she's an attractive woman and that makes makes Dunia's skin crawl with jealousy. She hates that it's impacting her so much.

"I saw her—your wife, she isn't anything special." The woman says.

"No, she isn't." Barqat agrees. Ouch. "It's not like I married her because I wanted to. She was just another ploy to getting what I want. Plus, she was acting out of her league and needed to be taught a few lessons."

More Ouch... Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, gosh darn it, this hurts so much. Ya Allah, my body feels like it's on fire just from listening to them. Dunia wants to burst through the doors and throw something at them both.

"You're so naughty." There's that pretty laugh of hers, Dunia thinks. There is a pause. "Aw, shit. My husband's asking for me. I have to go, babe." Dunia hears a kiss and the woman or maybe Barqat shuffling off the bed.

This one is married! Just like every girl he plays with! This man is a psychopath! Every girl who has an affair with him is crazy! Damn it, I'M CRAZY FOR MARRYING THIS THING! Tears are flowing down her face. The feeling is making her stomach twist in horrible knots that's making her feel sick. She really didn't expect to herself to care this much.

"Do you really have to go?" Barqat asks. "We can go for one more round, baby?"

Oh, no. I don't freaking think so! Not while I'm in the same goddamn apartment as this monster! Right then, as if a miracle, James texts Dunia:

2:45AM: Ma'am, could you please tell Sir right away that their are papers that he needs to sign and email back ASAP.

2:45AM: I understand that it is late and he must be sleeping. However, this is extremely important. If you could be kind enough to wake him and let him know. He has not been picking up my calls or answering to my texts. Thank you, James.

Dunia wipes her tears and doesn't give it a second thought. She bursts through his door to find two half naked people staring at her in shock.

Aw, man. I should've thought about this more before coming in.

- - -

A/N: OH, HELL NAWWWW! 😤😤

Please vote and comment and let me know how y'all feel!!