[37] Philophobia.

A/N: SURPRISE! A random, middle-of-the-week update that y'all deserve because I missed an update last Sunday! 😊♥️

- - -

Barqat's eyes widen in shock. That's not what he was expecting her to say, not even close.

She stands up from his lap and continues without making any eye contact with him. "You put me in a very dark place in the beginning of our marriage when you told me it was all a lie. It might have not been as horrible as what she did to you but it hurt and maybe I can't even come close to compare our situations. However, I felt something close to it. I felt myself shatter on the inside."

Tears threatened to spill but she continues on, "I thought to myself, he broke my heart once, he can't do it again. But you kept hurting me over and over again. And it broke me over and over again even though I was never mended in the first place. I didn't think you could break something that was already broken. You know, at one point I wanted to leave all this. I wanted to run away to a new country, change my name and start a new life. I thought about how that might bring you some peace. Even though you were the one hurting me, I couldn't stop thinking about your wellbeing."

She quickly rubs her eyes to prevent her tears from falling, "So, you could say I've had my fair-share of experiences."

Barqat's silence but his mind is screaming at him. It's so loud in his head that he thought his brain is going to explode. He couldn't comprehend what he put her through, he didn't ever bother thinking about what he did to her.

"I don't hate you for what you did, in fact I should thank you for it. I guess, in some twisted way, it helped me grow as a person. It helped me be able to speak my mind and not be the quiet and obedient girl who took all the punches." She gives him a smile, still not meeting his beautiful eyes.

Dunia takes both his hands into hers, "I just want to say something that I've heard before. Fear could have two possible meanings: either you forget or repress everything and run or you could face everything and rise. The choice is yours."

"Dunia..." Her name came out as a choke from his throat. He stands up and takes a few steps towards her.

Dunia takes a step back, out of habit. "It's quite alright. Really. I seriously don't want any pity. Unless you're going to throw a pity party with lots of junk food and ice cream." She laughs a little, trying to lighten up things.

Barqat wraps his firm arms around her, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I really fuck up all the good things in my life before realizing how important they were to me." His voice cracks when saying the next few words, "I was just so afraid of any emotional attachment, I thought chasing you away would be the best for the both of us. I'm such a fucking dick for doing that to you. Please don't hate me."

Dunia's heart hurts hearing him so vulnerable. She holds his face in between her hands and pulls him forward to place a kiss on his lips. "I don't hate you. In fact, it's the complete opposite, I'm head-over-heels for you, Mr. Barqat Sheikh."

She snakes her arms around his waist, "But I understand, Barqat. I really do. However, I don't think it's fair you blame yourself for the negative things that happen in your life. It's a push from Allah, to make you stronger, to help you find your true peace by fighting off the tough things in life."

"You think so?" Barqat asks innocently.

"I know so." Dunia says with an encouraging smile. "You know what? I have a diagnosis for you."

"Oh? What is it, Doctor?" Barqat raises a brow.

"Philophobia. You have Philophobia." She simply states.

Barqat's face mimics his pure confusion. "Philo-what?"

"It's a fear of falling in love, being in love, and growing emotional attachments. You really need to overcome that fear before you can start letting people into your life." She explains.

Barqat doesn't say anything at first but then asks, "And how do I get rid of this phobia?"

"Simple. Face your fears, Barqat. What I'm about to recommend might be stupid because I'm your wife and I probably shouldn't let you anywhere near your ex slash love of your life." She sighs. "However, I feel like this might work. I recommend you go to the party."

Barqat's muscles tense, "I—"

Dunia quickly covers his mouth with her hand. "Wait, before you go all Jekyll and Hyde on me, listen to what I have to say. Go to the party and tell Furat everything you've been holding in for the past four to five years. Pour out every bit of sadness, anger, frustration, everything you've been bottling up. Empty out your system and start anew. That's the only way you can let me into your life without making it hard for the both of us."

Barqat stays silent for a minute to ponder over Dunia's plan. What if I end up telling Furat I still love her? What if I mess this up even more? What if I do something that will make me lose Dunia? But she's right, if I don't let go of everything I've been holding in, I have no future with Dunia. I would have no future, period.

"You're right." He agrees. He hears Dunia let out a sigh of relief. "This is the only way I can let go."

Dunia places a hand on his cheek as she stares into his glossy blue-grey eyes, "Insh'Allah, you'll be successful. I believe in you. I'll be there with you every step of the way."

His grasp on Dunia tightens, he's afraid that if he lets go, she'll slip away, she'll leave, she'll run away, from him. He kisses her forehead softly, "I don't know what I did to deserve you."

"It must've been something seriously good because I'm truly a gift." Dunia jokes and begins to laugh.

"Is that so, my love?" He smirks.

Dunia nods into his chest. "Yes, I believe so."

He begins leaving kisses down her neck, "You drive me insane, you know that, Mrs. Dunia Sheikh?"

She can feel the butterflies in her stomach flutter uncontrollably. "Do I?"

"You do. You drive me to the fucking edge." His voice sounds low and husky as he leaves pecks down her collarbone.

"Barqat... Not... not tonight..." Dunia could barely get those words out of her.

He listens obediently and rests his chin on top of her head. After a moment of silence, he says, "I wish you met my mother. You two would've gotten along so well."

Dunia freezes, Barqat has never spoken about his mother to her.

- - -

A/N: Sorry if my updates come a little slower starting now. Uni has totally consumed my life and it's only been a week, which means I have less time to write. I really hope you'll understand! I truly will try my best to keep up! ♥️

Also, Really random but did any of you guys read The Billionaire's Niqabi here on Wattpad? It's by @notjustarandomhijabi. Anyone know if she's going to update soon?

Please vote and comment and let me know how y'all feel!!