Chapter 2

Hey! How do you guys like my original so far? Tell me in the comments cause I'd love to hear everything about this book! I hope you enjoy this next chapter!

____________________________________________________________

I woke up that morning to Anika opening the window right beside my bed then rocking me, not so gently. I flailed my arms and repeated "I'm up! I'm up!" Anika giggled and skipped off as she hummed to get ready. I stretched and yawned then gently pushed my covers off and got up. I took my new dress and went to change. By the time I was back to my bed Anika was standing beside it with a little basket in hand and a small hat on her head looking as perky as ever.

"Are you ready to go yet?" she asked excitedly.

"Just....one....more...thing," I replied straightening my hat onto my head as well. We walked downstairs to Mrs. Gallagher's office, though it was fairly early in the morning she'd be up, and so would the market, already busily buzzing with all of its shoppers. Our Kingdom- the Kingdom of that is- worked almost exactly the same as most Kingdoms do. We all shop from a market in the village, the King, Queen, Princes, and Princesses all live up in the castle and the rule the Kingdom with some of their advisers. But the only thing that is different here is the choosing of the Princess for the Prince. Now I'm not really sure how it works since I've never been alive to witness one (the prince is only nineteen), but I think it's like a competition and the Prince chooses someone over a couple of months, or something like that.

I knocked on the door to her office, Mrs. Gallagher opened the door and handed me a large basket, a large pouch of money and a piece of parchment with a list of things that I would need to get on it. The she bent down to Anika's height and handed her a small pouch of money. She whispered something to Anika that I couldn't hear but it must've been good since Anika's smile grew wider. Once Mrs. Gallagher was done talking we said goodbye and headed down the road to the market. The road to the market was fairly long and twisty, meaning we had to take many turns along the way. The road was also dirt and we had to walk, no carriage to take us there. Along the way, almost half-way to the market Anika piped up a bit.

"Mrs. Gallagher said that she had given me ten extra dollars," she said quietly. 

"What?!" I exclaimed. I only got ten dollars a month, sometimes a bit more depending on what I had done that week.  

"Yep, she said that she wanted me to be able to buy a nice dress for once, not just a 'maid-type' dress," Anika continued shyly. I nodded as we rounded the last corner to the market, which was now in view.

We walked in through the wide open arch and I instantly hear a loud chatter all about the Prince and how he is of age for the competition. I take Anika up to the first tent where I buy most of the fruits and vegetables. On the list today is tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, strawberries-actually every type of berry- potatoes, squash, and some water melon.

"Morning Ms. Marilynn," I say to the lady that owns this particular stand.

"Ah, good morning Miss Ange, and what can I get for you today?" she asks kindly. I tell her what I need and the quantity that is on my list.

"Quite a lot today?" she asked and I nod as she spots Anika. "Oh, and who is this fine young lady who we have brought today?" she asks smiling.

"I'm Anika, ma'am," she replies with a curtsy towards Ms. Marilynn. She smiles and replies.

"It's very nice to meet you Miss Anika, I assume you come from the orphanage too then?" she asks and Ani nods a little glumly though she tries not to show it.  "Well, cheer up lass. I'm sure some nice folks will pick you up soon, you're a darling," she continues noticing Anika's glum expressions. Anika just smiles politely as Ms. Marilynn goes to get the fruit and vegetables that I have requested. I thanked her kindly and paid for what I had asked and we went off Anika waving happily good bye to Ms. Marilynn.