Chapter 36- Much Like Opium

Taeyeon thinned her lips as she silently watched Mayu pour tea into a cup. Her steady gaze, despite being harmless, was as penetrating as a knife. Mayu gulped as she tried to calm her shaking hand that was holding the iron teapot.

"So, what brings you here today, sister?" Namjoon enquired as he smiled at Taeyeon from across the table.

Taeyeon shifted her attention from Mayu as she replied, "I came today because you have not been answering my letters." She frowned at him crossly. "You have been ignoring my invitations to come and visit me at the Lee house!"

"I apologise," Namjoon answered while guiltily grinning. "I have been dealing with the epidemic in the village as of late—"

"I do not understand why you are making that your priority" she interrupted while scowling at him. "That is the work of physicians: people beneath your class. You are a lord in your own right so, why do you demean yourself with work such as that?"

Namjoon's smile slowly slipped. "Sister, you know that I am studying medicine now—"

"But that is the thing!" she exclaimed exasperatedly, "The truth is, I do not know why. Before I could understand why you wished to study it because of your position in the military but now, I just cannot make sense of it..."

"Sister—"

"...You were doing so well in the army. You had so much potential. Your men even gave you a nickname because of your innate talent..."

"Sister—"

"...You should have heard what they said when you abruptly left! Some even followed you out of the military, did they not? You were an excellent platoon leader..."

"Sister—"

"...If you had continued, you could have been general. You served in the same regiment as General Lee, correct? If you had stayed on, you would have been the head of the Guan Yu not—"

"Enough!" Namjoon slammed his clenched fist on the wooden table, causing Taeyeon and Mayu to jump. Hot tea spilled across the varnished surface as a porcelain cup toppled over.

Taeyeon stared at her brother, wide-eyed and afraid. It was uncharacteristic of him to ever lose his composure so when he did, Taeyeon knew she had crossed a line.

Seeing the fright in her eyes, Namjoon let out a long breath. "I apologise," he mumbled, "I-I have not been sleeping well as of late."

A worried expression crossed Taeyeon's features. "You need to take care of yourself, Joonie. I do not know why you are going all out to help these peasants, but you must also consider your health and your position."

"I know."

"But I do not think you do." Taeyeon's brows furrowed as she explained, "While Uncle is the head of the family, you are the lord of our branch of the Kim clan." She pursed her lips as she stated, "Frankly, I do not understand why you insist on remaining here when you can move into Father's house. It is yours now and has been since the day he passed."

Namjoon watched as Mayu swiftly mopped the spilled tea. "I am aware of that. But I cannot just leave the household, not when Taehyung needs me here."

Taeyeon sighed. "Joonie, Taehyung is much older now. You do not have to—"

"I promised him" Namjoon abruptly interrupted.

Taeyeon observed the gravity of his expression.

"I promised him and his brother that I will look after him, sister. And I will honour that promise."