Chapter 46- Only in Name

"It looks like it's going to rain."

Gyuri stared at Pho from across the storage house, where Pho was gazing outside the window. With the sky a melancholy grey, Gyuri couldn't help but feel unsettled. She knew she should be used to drab weather, having grown up in the UK, but something about the dark clouds didn't seem right to her.

Their presence was like an ominous sign.

"At last, the drought is finally over," Gyuri heard Pho say as she sauntered over to help with unpacking the basket of food. "It's a shame we might get caught in the rain," she added while setting some vegetables aside. "Maybe we should return early before the rain falls?" Pho glanced at Gyuri after a few moments had passed and she hadn't replied. "Gyuri?"

"Hm?" Gyuri turned toward her.

Noticing the somewhat dazed look on her friend's face, Pho queried, "Is something bothering you?"

Gyuri shook her head. "Erm, no- no..." She fixed her gaze on her hands as she started organising the bowls.

Pho was unconvinced. "You don't have to worry about those thugs returning," she reassured.

Gyuri flinched at the mention of them.

"The imperial guards," Pho continued, "they took care of them already." Pho watched Gyuri shuffle on her feet. "We're safe here," she reiterated. "So, there's no need to be anxious."

"I- I just can't help feeling uneasy..." Gyuri eventually confessed.

Pho observed how Gyuri refused to look up.

"It was scary, Pho." Gyuri shuddered as she suddenly envisioned a sharp sword pointed at her. "I was lucky I didn't get hurt but Chim Chim he..." She looked up and Pho finally saw the dark shadows under her eyes. "What if more of them come back?" Her voice was small. "What if they come back and try to hurt us again?"

"They won't," Pho confidently answered. "Not when the imperial guards are around."

Gyuri searched the storage house but found no sign of Jimin or Zeren. Apart from a few peasants, the storage house was practically deserted.

Pho cleared her throat. "Even if the imperial guards aren't here today, we'll be fine." She picked up one of the bowls and started filling it with broth. "And besides, you could have stayed at the household today if you weren't up for it. Madam Zhou would have understood."

Again, Gyuri shuffled on her feet. With thoughts of Namjoon suddenly floating into her head, her cheeks burned. "I- I would've stayed if I could..." she murmured. "But I didn't want to let people down," she hastily explained. "Not when they depend on the soup kitchen for their daily meal."

Pho hummed doubtfully as she eyed Gyuri's flushed expression. But instead of pursuing it further, she replied, "Well, there's no point in us worrying about what might or might not happen." As if on cue, the door opened, and more peasants entered the storage house. Pho gestured to them. "We have mouths to feed."

Following Pho's lead, Gyuri readied a bowl of stew and served it to the newcomers. But while she watched her hands serve the stew, her mind wandered to the deepest part of her thoughts.

Everything feels surreal.

Only yesterday, she had escaped death by the skin of her teeth. If it weren't for Jimin and Zeren, Gyuri may not even be in the storage house at all.

Chim Chim... Zeren... where are you?

Gyuri glanced over her shoulder and out the window as if expecting the pair to make an entrance. She knew it was unlikely that they would, but part of her wished that they did. After all, ever since they had rescued her from the burly man, they had been coming to the soup kitchen almost every day. And after weeks of being by her side, Gyuri had gotten used to their presence. Not having to deal with Zeren's flirtatious advances or hearing Jimin's curt responses almost felt foreign to her— it was like a part of her was missing.