Chapter 40- The Emperor's Dog

Jimin was nervous.

From the corner of his eye, he stole a glance at Gyuri and quickly averted his gaze before she had the chance to notice. Curses, he grumbled under his breath as he masked his mouth with his hand. Even so much as the thought of her triggered his curious symptoms, let alone having her physically in front of him. Discreetly, he peeked at her again. From where he was walking behind her, he observed the silkiness of her ebony hair and how the top of her head was just below his chin. The slenderness of her profile and the swishing of her dress were just one of the few things that Jimin was acutely aware of.

Why does my heart beat faster when I am around her?

Earlier, when Zeren had suggested that he should accompany Gyuri to the dumping ground, Jimin had panicked. Ever since he had entered the storage house, his symptoms had been difficult to tame. Just Gyuri being in his line of sight had made him restless and fidgety, overwhelming him with a multitude of emotions that were contradictory and confusing.

Jimin was out of his depth.

"I don't think that's a good idea."

Looking up, Jimin saw Gyuri's unimpressed expression directed toward Zeren.

"Nonsense!" Zeren insisted. "Chim should come with you. What if you get harassed out there? At least Chim will be there to protect you."

"I'm just throwing these away" Gyuri huffed as she showcased the pot in her hands. "It's not like I've never been there before. The dumping ground isn't that far."

But Zeren was having none of it. Curiously hellbent on getting Gyuri and Jimin alone together, he addressed his friend, "Chim? Can you go with her?"

"He doesn't want to" Gyuri cut in. "You don't have to go" she addressed Jimin. "Don't let Zeren bully you."

Jimin shifted his eyes from Zeren to Gyuri as the pair bickered. But while their tiresome screeching interrupted the tranquillity of the empty storage house, Jimin couldn't drown out the internal turmoil within himself. His heart pounded at the idea of being with Gyuri alone.

What is wrong with me? He grimaced. He couldn't understand why he was excited by the prospect. She is a scammer! A thief! Snap out of—!

"I will go."

The words were out of his mouth before Jimin had time to register.

"Chim Chim?"

Jimin broke away from his reverie as Gyuri stopped and turned to face him. In that short instance, his eyes rounded. Heat rose to Jimin's cheeks as their gazes connected, his lips only a breath away from hers. He stumbled backward as he hastily cast his gaze down, his heart drumming against his chest at the unexpected proximity. "W-what is it?"

"I'm really sorry!"

Jimin was puzzled. "For what?"

"For what Taehyung did to you last time." Gyuri looked away ashamedly. "It was my fault that you got hit in the face. I swear, I didn't know he was gonna do that."

With a soft gaze, he observed Gyuri anxiously play with her sleeves. Had she been worrying about it all this time? In truth, he had forgotten he was punched by the brat at all. "Do not fret," he reassured her with as much composure as he could muster. The image of Taehyung's hardened glare flashed before his eyes and he fought the urge to frown. "I have already forgiven him."

"Still..." Gyuri mumbled. "I feel bad about it."

A small smile danced on Jimin's lips as he gaped at the crease on Gyuri's forehead. Something about seeing Gyuri concerned about him made him feel a tinge of... happiness? Jimin's brows knitted in confusion.