Chapter I, Wake the Dead

I'm in a very warm and cozy cabin in the woods, sitting in a soft and worn dark green couch in front of a blazing fireplace. I can see through a window that it's nighttime, and it's snowing so hard outside you can barely see the tree line of the forest beyond. The heat coming off from the fireplace is so pleasant that I wish I could stay like this forever.

I don't really remember how I got here, so I try to remember; and just when I think I'm getting closer to finding the answer, a warm pair of hands embraces me from behind. Followed by a soft and plum pair of lips which caress my ear and murmur in a sweet voice, "Dinner's almost ready, Sleepyhead. The children are playing in their room, you should go get them, so we can finish eating quickly and then,"-She wets her lips and says huskily-"hopefully, then we grown-ups can play." As if her heated suggestion wasn't enough, she sucks on my ear lobe once and then bites it playfully before leaving to finish cooking.

Her teasing leaves me all hot and wanton. Aislin always left me like that with her beautiful silver hair, electric green eyes, and boyish charm. She had a small chest, but that only added to her glamour. Her eyes were bewitching; they were emeralds infused with the brightest stars. Her face? Perfect in its beauty with its sharp angles. Looking at her always made me think how lucky I was that a person like her fell in love with me.

The cabin is pretty small. The kitchen, dining room and living room are all in the same place. The only other rooms are the children's room, our room (which we'll be using thoroughly later), and the bathroom. 

I guide myself to the children's room.

As soon as I enter I am attacked by two energetic kids. Each one grabs one of my arms and pulls me further in. "Papa! Come and play with us!" Says the boy with silver hair and red eyes, giving me a pure smile full of joy. The little girl with Blonde hair and green eyes nods her head repeatedly in response, and when she notices me staring she blushes and hides her face in my sleeve.

I smile warmly and shake my head, "Sorry, but dinner's ready. How about we eat super fast and play after?"

"Waaah! But I wanna' play now, Papa!" The boy pouts. But I am already leading them to the dining room table. Where the three of us take our seats.

"Dinner's ready you guys. I think this one's a keeper!" Announces Asilin, as she sets down a huge casserole filled with pasta, shrimp, creme, and scallions. It looks and smells so good my mouth starts to water.

After she serves our daughter, she passes the casserole to me, and I serve myself and our son, completing the circle and setting the casserole in the middle. That's is when I notice that Aislin and the girl have already started without us and are eating fast and hungrily, making 'mmmhh' noises. This brings a smile to my face. Typical Aislin; I missed her so much...

Wait, why did I just miss her? Puzzled, I take a bite of the pasta, and it tastes great.

I am shocked. Completely and utterly shocked. It. Tastes. Great. Aislin has never been a good cook. In the first place, why is she even cooking? Aislin hated cooking. We always ate at restaurants or had takeout. The kids are staring at me. WHY CAN'T I REMEMBER THEIR NAMES!!!

Realization dawns on me and then the world is crumbling. My children are dissolving as if they were thrown into a bat of acid. They're skin blisterns and boils, falling off in chunks and revealing red tissue; I watch my daughter with horror as parts of her skull are revealed and her jaw and lower mouth fall down to the now red floor. "What's wrong, Daddy? You look pale." She says worriedly, her left eyeball hanging by a thread to her eye socket.

I can't bear to look at her anymore and look away, noticing the table is gone and now Aislin is standing right in front of me, and she is bloody and deformed and missing parts, and she grabs my head and yells at me, "DID YOU REALLY THINK A MONSTER LIKE YOU COULD BE HAPPY? EVEN AFTER YOU KILLED ME?! EVEN AFTER YOU HAD SEX WITH THAT BITCH RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY DEAD BODY? AND NOW YOU KILLED ALL OF THEM,"-she gestures to all the countless bodies around us. Some are friends I have abandoned. Others are so dismembered or in such a bad shape they can't be recognized-"IN ORDER TO BE WITH ME AGAIN. BUT, YOU KILLED THEM FOR NOTHING AND YOU ARE GOING TO FAIL AND YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO GET ME BACK AND-"