Chapter V, Bloody History

How the room looks like^

Play the music. Always. It sets the tone.

[Mordred's Pov]

'I want to start with a history lesson'

As soon as I heard the request, I felt as if my nerves felt on fire. Not a moment later, my body and mind started to behave like a teacher. I regained my shattered confidence momentarily and prepared to give a lecture.

That is the way Holy Pacts work. It is a Greater Magic which uses the mana of both parties in order to enforce the terms. In the case that none of the parties have magic, then the Pact will be null and won't enforce the terms. Since my magic circuits were crippled; the twins are supplying the energy in this case. 

The pact isn't absolute. It can only enforce actions which both parties are capable of doing; It can't force a magicless human to teleport from the North Pole to the South Pole since that would be unachievable for that individual.

While we are on the subject, the contract needs the blood of both parties as well as their consent. Even if someone manages to attain the blood, it will be useless without that person knowing about the contract and consenting to it. Therefore, since I am able to teach and try my best at it, the pact will enforce the terms and make me do so until they say it's enough.

"O-okay, I know you two well, s-so I am going to guess that you probably killed your other tutors before they could teach you much, or you just fooled around. I am going to start with the basics." I stutter "As you might now, it has been 157 years since the start of the Second Renaissance. The word Renaissance means rebirth, specifically the rebirth of the Eldritch era. A huge war broke out between the Elder Races and humanity and the loss of the humans and the start of the Eldritch's rule is what the Renaissance is." My eyes start to tear up but my body and voice remain neutral. An effect of the Pact I suppose. I just wish the Elder Races would disappear, just blown away like the leaves in autumn, and we could return to the old peaceful world.

"Anyways, as you might have guessed from the name. There was a previous Renaissance. Humanity has existed for 200,000 years, 70 thousand years later the Elder Races evolved from humanity due to environmental challenges. Later, 100,000 years ago they would get into conflict due to territorial problems. The Elder Races with the advantage of magic unilaterally won and after the war, the Eldritch ruled and humans were treated as inferiors. Still, they weren't slaves. This period of Eldritch rule started the 1st Reinassance, better known as the Age of Magic.

However, as you two would be wise to remember, humanity is not to be underestimated. Around 50,000 years ago humans rebelled and 48,000 years ago the Age of Magic stopped. Magic was very rare from this point onwards. Humans eventually forgot about it or thought it never existed in the first place."

"But an Eldritch is so muuuch stronger than a petty human! How could they have rebelled successfully?!" Pouted Cornelia.

"That is a topic which is still debated to this day. It is hard to tell since it happened so long ago, but the leading theory on the matter is that they captured Eldritchs and mutilated them in order to manufacture Anti-magic weapons or A.M.W.'s for short. This weapons are made out of the magic circuits of many mages; but, they do not produce magic of their own. As the name suggests, they were designed to absorb mana and then use the absorbed mana against the adversary." I say, wishing I had one of this weapons so I could kill the whole royal family. "As you know, people nowadays use magic circuits to store, or in the case of circuits of superior quality, amplify mana. The past humans, however, removed these features from the A.M.W.'s they created. The reason is simple; they wanted them to be useless in the hands of the enemy. If it amplified mana, then the weapon would be of use to the Elder Races, who would use them to further their power.