Chapter VIII, So it Begins

As I near the gates one of the 4 guards stops me. He pushes me back with the barrel of his massive heavy machine gun.

These guys were part of the last of District 17's human police force. They were all wearing full-armor helmets, study kevlars, and exo-arms. 

Their budget wasn't big enough to purchase exo-suits for everyone, so they had to make due. Typically only the top brass (Liutenant or higher) of the human police will have access to them. 

"Don't be shy and take off the helmet

"Don't be shy and take off the helmet." Says one of the guards in a mechanical voice distorted by his electronic helmet. They were the standard in the police for the added intimidation factor.

"Sure thing."

The moment I remove it, a drone flies right up to my face and starts scanning me. The wig won't be much help here, but the contacts will be vital. If all goes according to plan, V.V. will successfully hack the drone through them and I'll be allowed passage.

After about half a minute of scanning, I hear the drone say in one of those angelic and completely peaceful voices AI tend to have, "Mc Lovin, you are clear to transit."

As soon as I heard my fake name I closed my eyes in apprehension. Any moment now they would open fire on me.

I could hear V.V. laughing her ass off through my earphone.

Right now, I am thankful that I haven't met her because I doubt my hands would be able to stay away from her neck for long. Words cannot describe my frustration. She had one job, just one! No one will be stupid enough to fall for that 4th rate Identification. Killing the guards and opening the gate would be child's play, the real problem was closing the doors. With no guards to close it from the inside, the safe zone would be wiped out by the ghouls.

I mute V.V. -again- and reopen my eyes to assess the situation.

Suddenly, one of the guards starts making strange noises. I realize he is trying to stop himself from laughing. He fails miserably, however, and starts guffawing so hard he starts choking.

It seems his laughter was contagious because another guard joins him shortly after. The other 2 are serious. One of them has an annoyed expression and is looking at the guys who are laughing like maniacs. The last one is lost in thought.

It is he who finally speaks up.

"Guys I think it sounds really fake. Maybe we should recheck its validity."

I slowly start moving my hand towards Zwei under my coat, when the guy who was choking says, "Why, Johny, you must be the stupidest person alive! Why the hell would someone choose such a stupid name for a fake ID. It would be like trying to get caught."

Johny falls silent pondering about the new insight.

After what felt like an eternity, he finally mutters, "Yeah, I guess you are right, Nick."