deux

"She had this determination in her eyes, this beautiful gleam that made me ache to hold her."

There were not many people who could say that they had seen Robyn as frustrated and upset as she was now for the girl had been raised to behave with propriety and control over herself, and yet, here she was stomping as much as any girl could as she moved through the people around her, not minding as she shot elbows carelessly at the people who got too close or got in her way.

It was the only way that she could keep herself from letting the anger that festered under her skin from seeping out in sparks that would lead her to trouble with so many different people. Fingers itched to dig into her thighs with her nails, to leave behind the crescent indents on pale skin that only her own eyes had ever seen, to dig and dig until blood drawn red and bright seeped from small little cuts. It was a very violent thing that she had never truly done before, it was only a thing of her imagination but it worked well to calm her mind enough to make it home, her brother Rodick awaiting her around the back where he worked the horses through the field to collect the harvest that was fresh and ready for picking.

His sleeves were rolled up, dirt had already stained the ends and Robyn could only imagine the labour she would need to clean that one shirt alone.

"Was father in when you went to see him?" Rodick called to her.

Nodding, she re-tied the fabric of her apron around her, tightening the knot before she bent to help him with work. "Aye, where else would he be?"

He tossed a clump of dirt at her, smiling all the while. "Just asking, sister. He is not always in when I go."

Her fingers twitch, a flash of panic running through her as she realized how careless her father was becoming if he was allowing himself to nearly be caught by her brother. As much as she cherished her relationship with Rodick, he still was not the brightest man yet there had been dumber men that had figured out much more difficult things.

"I was not aware of this. I can speak with him of it if you wish," she offered, knowing very well that she would never truly bring it up to her father, the man was more than likely off with his dark-haired beauty somewhere that they were probably more likely to be caught.

It was overwhelming, the amount of sin that Robyn found herself surrounded by daily in a constant stream from places that had never imagined she would be faced with.

Her brother shook his head and looked up to the cloudy sky with a furrow in his brow. She could see the rain that was approaching, the way that the wind picked up and the temperature dropped the longer they stood out in the field.

She had a thought, an incorrigible feeling of want to see what Alec would look like wet, standing out in the rain without a care or how soft his skin would feel under the tips of her fingers - she imagined it would be smooth, unimaginably smooth.

Forcing such thoughts away, Robyn helped Rodick work through as much of the field as she could before the first few drops hit the thick fabric of their clothes. Truthfully, Robyn was ready to head inside much sooner had Rodick not been worried over what their mother would say. The woman was incredibly harsh most times, something that the girl had associated to the distance that her father placed between them. Not finishing up in the field was almost a crime in the eyes of the woman.

Eager to save herself from the unnecessary cold, she darted inside the home with Rodick close at her back ensuring that she got inside safely. Their mother was waiting, frowning out the front window and down the small path that leads into the heart of the village, no doubt expecting the appearance of her father. Robyn knew that he would not come, not until after the rain.