dix

"She was everything to me and she was willing to give me anything."

It was quiet in the village that morning, not even the birds sang their pleasant songs. No, it was silent and eerie, as though all were afraid all would shatter if the spoke a word.

The streets were empty, the light dim, hidden behind dark, heavy clouds. She felt a chill in the air that sent shivers up her spine. Robyn pulled her shall closer around her, soar fingers clutching at the thin fabric.

Listlessly, she carries herself toward the church, stopping before the burned down building with the gaping hole in the center -- the front of the church, where the fire had started, was nothing more than a few planks and boards.

She blinked at it, ash rising with a puff as she nudges the rubble with her foot. How odd it was to see it so desolate, as though it was abandoned and laid to waste. As if it was attacked in persecution.

There was no simplicity in what she saw, only endless possibilities. What she feared most was the thought that someone might have come and set the church alight with them inside on purpose. She worried in the reasonable sense in the same way that she had for her home after she had convinced herself that she wasn't cursed.

It was a silly fear that she didn't entertain now, not when she wasn't the source. She hadn't been angry then. She wasn't able to start fires with her thoughts and feelings.

There was no such thing as that, she knew.

Robyn kicked the piles of wood again, harder this time, angry now.

There was no doubt in her mind that she knew what people were going to say. The fact that Alec had been there to catch her in his arms was enough for them to spread there lies and poison.

It explained why he was not willing to meet her that morning in their meadow, why she had needed to sit an hour with the knowledge that he wasn't going to come weighing terribly on her mind. She could only hope -- hope up until Jane had quietly come to tell her sounding just as miserable as she felt.

Churches were much easier to rebuild compared to the fractures that might have occurred in such a tentative relationship.

Relaxing her hand that had tensed against her clothing, the wrapping rubbed uncomfortably, she turned, facing away from the church to the general direction of her old house. That was destroyed by something so the same yet likely so different.

She worried over it for a moment before she dismissed it completely and heads toward the Law family home.

After days of seeing him each morning like clockwork, soaking in the grace of him as though she was soaking in the sun, catching the rays of his smile through her fingers and listening to his voice pass through her like a cool breeze. It was not right to go without seeing him even for a day.

Her strides grew longer, more determined. He was not allowed to pull away from her again, not now, not after she had grown so hopeful and they so close.

It was only clear to her that something must have been wrong for him not to come to her. She did not want to go without him again, did not want to start over.

If only he could see what it was like, how it was like, how deeply, that she cared for him, then he would never doubt himself with her again. Alec would know that nothing could turn her away if only he could feel her.

But sins be damned, she was not a witch and such a thing was impossible.

As the house came into view, some of her anger ebbed away at the fence that was nicely fixed and untouched. It was good that the boys had taken her threat quite seriously that they had repaired it despite what has happened the night before.