- Chapter 8 -

I apologize for the long wait. I was supposed to post a few days ago, but something came up. There has been some personal issues going on and I felt I needed to address those before writing. For those of you who weren't being pushy and demanding, thank you. It means a lot. Again, I'm sorry for the lack of posting and I hope my problems won't interfere with this again.

__________

Song of the chapter: 
Falling Down by Selena Gomez & the Scene

__________

● Juliet Saunders ●

Dinnertime came next and everyone came filing into the house after sitting on the beach. They all looked like they had been sitting out in the sun for days with their tans and slight burns that painted over their cheekbones. Luckily I came back inside when I did, because I didn't want to be a deep shade of red for the rest of the school year.

Yeah, that would be completely attractive.

It turned out to be Kyle calling me before I-- you know, did what I did. Apparently she felt it was important to ask me where the phone book was when I knew, without even having to look, that it was underneath the coffee table in the living room. Not because I remembered it was there from the past, but because it was literally out in the open. Sometimes, I wondered if that girl even had a brain.

And plus, she was there more than I was. It was kind of sad that she couldn't find it herself.

For the hours that followed, I couldn't seem to think straight. A feeling struck me harder than any I've ever felt before, and I knew one hundred and ten percent that what I did was wrong. There was no other word I could use to explain how I felt other than guilty.

Guilty.

Austin didn't say a word at dinner and I didn't say anything unless I was asked a question. No one knew that I'd pushed him into the water after he admitted his feelings to me other than myself. When he came back in the house after I did it, he didn't look at me. Kyle asked him what happened and he said he just fell in. After that, he walked straight to the shower.

Anyways, dinner ended after the four of them talked about going to the boardwalk tomorrow and what they planned on doing. Rebelling against what I would normally do by getting my bellybutton pierced was the least of my worries at that point. There was something else taking over my thoughts more than anything else:

Austin.

I knew I shouldn't have felt bad for him after what he did to me. He made me feel that way every single day for almost three years. I shouldn't have had even the slightest amount of remorse lingering within my mind, but I did.

Why?

Because I've never been the one to torment people. I was always on the other end of the joke. I knew what it was like to be rejected and it sucks. And the fact that I pushed him? That was taking it to a whole new level.

God, how did I get to be such a bitch?

Everyone decided we would have a fire on the beach when it began getting dark. Just so that no one would think anything of me acting distant, I went with them. Shockingly, Austin did too. He'd barely said two words and he hadn't made eye contact with anyone. I knew it was my fault and I couldn't help but gain the urge to apologize to him for acting so immature.

What if he really isn't the same as he used to be? I wondered. What if he's over mocking people and making them feel horrible? What if he changed while I was gone?