Conditions of Vacations

It had been a year and a half since the incident with the gang, and I haven't seen or talked to any of them since... bar Shaggy and Scooby of course.

I don't live with the two of them in the Mystery Machine, and I do actually have a job, in contrast to them. I now work as a scriptwriter for film companies across America. It's a pretty cool job, and means I'm always busy but I love it! I get to meet the stars of the films and stay in while it's being filmed so I can be consulted- it's so great, but I make time to see Shaggy and Scooby frequently every day.

I was actually just coming out of one of the studios when a guy in a Hawaiian shirt came up to me, grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

"Avery Rogers?" he asked when he got close enough.

"Yeah," I said, uncertainly, narrowing my eyes slightly.

"Here," he handed me a letter addressed to me.

"What's this?" I asked, hesitantly taking it.

"It's a letter from Mr Mondavarious, requesting your immediate presence at his theme park Spooky Island. He would like you to help solve a mystery!" he finished with a dazzling smile, evidently very happy in his assumption that I would go.

I was silent for a while as the man stared at me happily.

"No thank you," I handed him back the letter, unopened, and turned on my heel, going towards my car.

"You have to go!" the man tried after me, as he recovered from his temporary hesitation.

I turned to him; "Look, buddy, I'm sorry, but I am really not interested in mysteries anymore," I said truthfully.

I honestly couldn't be bothered with them anymore. As far as I was concerned, I had been there- done that. I had a new life now, one that I loved and planned to continue on with for as long as possible.

"Your brother and dog are going though- they need your protection!" the man suggested.

I was kind of angry at him for bringing my family into the situation, but at the same time, I knew he was right. Shaggy and Scooby had a knack of getting themselves into sticky situations.

I sighed; "Alright, I'll go, but only to watch over the two of them. I am not going to take any part in the case. I'm just going to sit and do MY work- the stuff that I more than happily do now."

The man sighed, but nodded, accepting my compromise. He bade his goodbye and left me alone.

I rang Shaggy and Scooby, to double check they were, indeed going.

They said yes, because of an all-you-can-eat-buffet or something like that. I rolled my eyes- typical!

I drove home and packed. Ya know clothes, toothbrush, shower stuff- the usual.

Then I packed up what I would need for work; my scripts, my laptop, my webcam for consultation, etcetera, etcetera.

I planned to work on the plane- I had a script I really wanted to finish, and maybe this short vacation would be the perfect opportunity for me to do it!

I sighed when I had packed, not believing myself for actually doing this. But oh well, no going back now.

I arranged a time to meet Shaggy and Scooby so they could ride me to the airport in the Mystery Machine, then got in bed ad drifted off to sleep.

I was kind of looking forward to this, but I hoped as well that none of the gang would be there. I don't think I'm up for seeing them again.

I guess we'd find out....