Bitter Flight And White Lies

This was going to be the longest flight of my entire life.

I tried to ignore Fred as he sat down next to me, opening up my laptop, and logging on.

I could feel him looking at me, but I sure as hell wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of falling for him again, not after all these years.

"Sooo..." he said, after a lot of awkward silence, during which I looked over at him, an eyebrow raised, "Just couldn't get away from the mystery, huh?" he joked, trying to break the newly-formed ice.

I let out a sarcastic laugh; "Can't get far enough away from it- no, I'm only here to keep an eye on Shaggy and Scooby."

That seemed to stop him in his tracks, before he said, "But we've all got together again, and you're not even going to help solve the mystery?"

He was getting on the defensive, but I could play that card too, so i did.

"Well, I seem to remember my initial quitting of the group going somewhere along the lines of a certain purple somebody telling me, 'You're worthless to this team, Avery. You're nothing.'."

"Avery... that was like a year and a half ago..."

I gave another laugh at his pure stupidity; "Yes, Fred. I know. But it just so happens that it was that line that has echoed through my head every day since the day it happened. And do you know what? She was right-"

"No she wasn't-"

"Yes, Fred, she was. I clearly wasn't cut out for the mystery line of work, so I went out and I found my calling. It may not be being some big-time celebrity like you, or working for NASA like Velma, but I've finally found something that makes ME happy..."

"Which is?" he questioned, uncertainly.

"I'm a scriptwriter," I said.

"Right," he laughed, "And how many of those got published?" he asked sarcastically.

"All of them," I replied matter-of-factly, "And I don't really think you can laugh at my chosen line of work considering that that scripts that I'VE WRITTEN have starred actors like Liam Neeson, and Bruce Willis. Keira Knightley, and Scarlett Johansson..."

That shut him up.... temporarily.

"Wow..." he said, and I rolled my eyes- he always has to say SOMETHING, doesn't he?

"That's really impressive, Ave, congratulations," he added, still looking quite shocked.

I stiffened. I hadn't been called Ave since I used to solve mysteries with everyone, and the idea that I had been called it once more just brought back some bitter memories...

"Yeah. Thanks."

"Rello!" I heard a familiar, jolly voice exclaim.

"Hey, Grandma!" I said encouragingly, smiling at my dog.

"Relma, I rave to swap reats rith roo," Scoob explained, as Velma nodded along from her place on the other side of Fred, where I hadn't actually noticed her, being too caught up in mine and Fred's heated... discussion.

"Recause, the ruman, re's rith, is rerergic ro.... rogs," he bent down to whisper the last part like it was a deep, dark secret, and I snickered.

"Right, okay," Velma huffed, "See you later, guys, I guess," she said, and I murmured a quick, 'Bye', not knowing if she hated me or not.... I didn't know whether Fred, or Velma, or Daphne hated me or not.... although Daphne probably did.

After about half an hour of being airbourne, Scooby sang over Fred to me, "Rat roo roing, Ravery?"