Chapter Eighteen

They had just finished having afternoon tea and were sitting chatting when they heard the wagon wheels clatter on the cobble-stoned courtyard. Aiden was first to move from his place at the table. The rest followed clearing the table of dirty dishes as they went.

"It's Master Louis back from Hobart Town," Aiden exclaimed.

Jessica noted their faces light up like that of small children whose father had returned from a time of absence. They went outside to greet him. Only she stayed behind.

Their happy banter wafted through the door as she continued to clean up and wash the dishes.

Mary and Alice returned to the kitchen carrying parcels and rolls of cloth. Their exhilaration over the new things was clear. "Come, Jessica help us unload the wagon. Master Louis has bought us material to make new garments," Alice cried.

Not wanting to spoil Alice's excitement Jessica smiled. "That's nice Alice, but I'd best go and light the fires."

"Oh yes, good I'll come and help you soon, put water in the boiler. Master Louis will want a hot bath." Alice almost skipped back through the door.

Jessica was turning from the wash basin when Louis entered carrying a large sack of flour on one shoulder and a pair of boots in his free hand. Their eyes met. Jessica's breath caught in her throat. It burned where it sat. She gulped for another to release the one caught there. She had forgotten how handsome he was. His strong masculine face and vivid blue eyes were marred by the farrow of a frown and half-grown stubble. The muscles of his arms were taut against the flimsy shirt he wore and the veins in his hand and forearm bulged under the weight of the sack. Anxiety swept through her body and left her throat dry. She flicked her eyes downwards until they found a safer place on the floor. Jessica wanted to leave the room but remained frozen where she was.

Louis' attention was distracted from her by Mary's entrance. "I'll need that sack of flour by the pantry door please, Master Louis."

Without answering he crossed the room and effortlessly placed the sack where Mary wanted it.

Jessica took this opportunity to move toward the door. She folded her arms across her chest. Her head pounded. Its dull throbbing marked each step, and the cocoon that had surrounded her contentment deteriorated in the face of this intruder. She was a stranger once more, wanting escape. Her feelings of belonging gone.

"Jessica!"

The word shot through her. She wanted to hold her head high when she faced him, so she took a deep breath and turned around. Her chin held loftily but found she could not look directly at him. Jessica focused on a spot on the wall behind him.

He moved with ease toward her and stood within arm's reach. The muscles of his body rippling naturally against his clothing. "These boots are for you," he said gently holding them out expecting her to take them.

Jessica stiffened. Her tongue danced backwards and forwards against her clenched teeth. She swallowed and lowered her gaze.

Louis watched as her eyelashes veiled her grey eyes and looked at the boots. She did not touch them. He pushed them toward her, "Take them," he whispered.

She didn't want anything from him. Jessica wrapped her arms about her and took a slow steady breath. With her lips firmly closed she stared at the floor and waited.

Louis sighed. When she had met his eyes as he had come through the door he had hoped she was more at ease with him. She'd had her hands held behind her back holding onto the basin. Her hair was draped over her shoulders falling to her waist. There was an air of confidence about her. The instant she looked away from him, as though he repulsed her, he knew she was as she had been on the first day.

Her downcast eyes and silence were not a sign of respect for him, but a rebuff of him. Letting him know she would not give him the courtesy of an answer. He was too weary to deal with this defiance now. A strong feeling of rejection overwhelmed him. He placed the boots on the table and went to continue unloading the wagon.

Jessica faltered as he walked away from her. She had expected him to strike her. Others would have and had done for less. His non-reaction of her refusal to acknowledge him left her feeling confused and unsure of him. She sensed he was not pleased. Agitated, she left the kitchen and went to his chamber to light the fire. Jessica hoped to have had this done before they had finished unloading the wagon. She didn't want to encounter him again.

Thank you all for reading. I'd love you to vote and comment.  Feedback means everything.  ♥♥♥

Copyright © 2019 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.