Chapter 16: Courage, Free Will, Emotion

They sat down close to the king's side, and the old lady sat with them. The elves eyed her with awe, and both Aithal and Saryana were unnaturally stiff. Edmian was still quiet. Jolette was stuck between them unsure what to do.

She wondered what the old lady knew of them, and how. She certainly seemed like no ordinary human, even if it was obvious that she wasn't an elf. Elves did not grow old; but humans did not have a hearing like that, and neither did they mysteriously know everything about people they had seemingly just met.

For the time being, however, none of her questions were answered. For the time being they ate, and it was the old woman herself who urged them to, scolding them when they took too little for her liking. Jolette was eerily reminded of her grandmother back in Rivertown, when she had still been alive.

Finally the elves relaxed and focused no longer on the guests but on food and song, only occasionally reaching over to offer more of this, or tell them to try some of that. It was only then that the old lady pushed away her plate and turned towards them with glinting dark eyes.

"Now," she said, "down to business."

Aithal straightened up like a young boy in front of an authority. "Certainly," he said. "We came to this place to seek refuge. Or rather, to find a refuge for the boy in our company and his friend."

The old woman's dark eyes rested on Edmian, then on Jolette. And suddenly she understood why Aithal and Saryana had been so intimidated by her. She felt like the world was looking at her through those eyes, the wisdom of centuries beyond count gazing at her from the very depths of time.

"They both escaped from the capture of Rivertown," Aithal went on, his voice still unusually stiff. "The boy is a runaway from the Colorless Land. He is being hunted by his people."

Saryana swallowed before she spoke up. "But he needs help, too," she said. "We ran into trouble with the Colorless and their fog on the way, and he's been...fading ever since. He was almost gone before we got here."

"No," said the old woman. "Not was; he still is. Nothing should be trusted less than a sudden improvement in such a condition. The fade comes in waves; the next one is already preparing to hit."

Jolette jumped up, forgetting her awe. "But then he needs help!" she exclaimed. "Can't you help him?"

The dark eyes met hers again, and she abruptly shrank back and sat down, ashamed of her outburst. But the old lady gave a fierce nod. "The change of pace and scenery is not a cure," she said, standing up in her turn. "This young man needs help, quickly. You are lucky you did not wait any longer with this!"

Taking Edmian by the arm, she pulled him away from the table, leading him back towards the passage from which she had come. Jolette hesitated for a second, then she ran after them, following them through the stone trees past a door into darkness.

"Young lady!" said the old woman, stopping in her tracks. "What are you doing? Hurry and go back to the table! I can handle this."

Jolette paused and hesitated, then her eyes fell on Edmian, standing limply at her hand, blindly following as he was led. She did not want to leave him. Scary as this woman could be, she did not want to leave him alone.

"I'm coming too," she said firmly.

"Don't be silly," the woman replied. "There is no reason for you to come with us. Go back and enjoy yourself while you can."

"There is a reason." Jolette set her jaw. "He's my friend."

The old lady gazed at her for a very long while. Then her expression softened. Those dark, unfathomably deep eyes were suddenly full of warmth.