Chapter 41: Breaking the Walls

Edmian ran blindly through the streets, his eyes burning, his throat tight in a way he didn't understand, one that made him wonder if he was going to die.

Shaking, he pressed himself into a narrow corner, watching the Colorless pass him by without noticing. His body still throbbed in the places where Jolette had knocked him over, wrestled with him. He took a glance at his wrist. A blue bruise had formed there, dark blue, so very unlike the pendant and yet blue all the same. It seemed to be staring at him, mocking him. Edmian pulled his sleeve over it.

What now?

Jolette didn't seem to be following, and Edmian didn't know if he was glad or sad. He hoped she would be all right. She had to be. He couldn't help her now. He didn't dare come near her anymore, not with this thing hanging from his neck.

No, he couldn't risk returning to her. The pendant had driven her mad. Just like it had driven Theor mad before. The object around his neck was dangerous, too dangerous to keep around people. Everyone had been right. It did have a will of its own.

Jolette had been claimed already. Who would be next?

He didn't dare think of it. Her he had still been able to fight off. But the others...they were bigger. They were stronger and far older. He wouldn't stand a chance.

But most of all he didn't want his friends to become his enemies in the first place.

So that answered it.

With a deep breath Edmian pushed himself out of his corner and continued on his way with a newfound determination.

~ ~ ~

The boats were drawing closer.

Saryana had listened to the sound of the bells with relief, but now she was tensing again. Time had passed, and still Jolette had not returned. Neither had the innkeeper. Evariel was still watching the seas upstairs, and his reports were enough to tell her they were running out of time.

The people were warned. So far, so good. Now she had to think. How could this city be defended? Someone had to gather the people, equip them with weapons, man the cannons and city walls, and quickly. And she was a foreigner here. She had neither the right nor the knowledge to do it.

If only Aithal was here.

But he was still missing, and she didn't dare search for him. She had to watch the others. She might be on leave, but she was still a general, and generals didn't desert those in their care for one person, no matter how dearly beloved.

What could she do? What should she do?

If worse came to worst...should she take the group and leave? Get out of the city while the Colorless took over?

Possibly without knowing what had become of Aithal?

She hated the thought. She loathed it. But it seemed like the best option. She should warn the others. At her signal they should all be ready to sneak out, quickly and quietly.

Damn it, where was Jolette? Where was the innkeeper? Evariel, at least, was upstairs. Zamrod was next door. And Edmian—

Where was Edmian?

Standing up, she paced through the whole house, barging in on Zamrod, then upstairs on Evariel. "Has anyone seen Edmian?" she shouted.

Both elf and dwarf shook their heads. "Isn't he in his room?" Evariel asked.

Saryana searched. She searched every nook and cranny. But deep down she already knew she wouldn't find anything. Her senses always told her when someone had done something stupid.