Chapter 24: The Greater Good

"Oh, it's you," Theor's voice rang out from inside the chamber, still full of hostility. "What do you want?"

Lavilian slipped into the room and bit back all the counters that came into her mind, forcing a slight smile. "Not to worry," she said, "I am not here to argue with you again. I came here to help you."

For a moment Theor's face was skeptical, then the hostility melted off his features. "I knew you were wiser than that, Lavi," he said. "So common sense caught up with you in the end."

"I have no desire to fight with my brother." Setting a cup down in front of him, she slid into the chair next to his, peering at his untouched mess of papers. It was an unlikely sight. Normally Theor made a point of working through everything as soon as he saw it.

Theor glanced at the cup. "What is this?"

"Warm milk and honey," Lavilian replied. "You have slept too little lately. You need to rest."

He looked surprised, but he accepted the cup, smiling and taking a sip. "Worried about my health?" he asked. "That's unusual."

"I don't want to up the risk of you failing this mission."

"I won't, I won't." Theor laughed. "Remember, as long as I'm here, everything will be all right."

Lavilian's face remained blank. She supposed her brother expected a smile, but it took her all she had not to show her skepticism openly. "If you say so."

Theor's smile only wavered slightly. "And yet you came here to help me?"

"Yes. It's the least I can do to make this plan more foolproof."

"I doubt it's necessary, but you often have good suggestions." Theor took another large sip. "So tell me, what do you think?"

Lavilian spoke. She spoke to him at length about possibilities and safety measures, about evacuations and guarding the mountains, not only the passes but also the plains south of them. But all along, all along, she waited.

Theor emptied his cup quickly and without thinking. For a long time he seemed perfectly normal, discussing her ideas, adding his own thoughts and improvements; then, little by little, he grew drowsy. Lavilian feared that he would send her away, but he kept on talking even as he struggled to keep his eyes open. And then, at last, he was asleep in his chair.

Lavilian waited another moment, just to be safe. Then, carefully, carefully, she slid her fingers under his collar and felt for the chain.

She could sense the presence under the fabric, vibrant, pulsating. For a moment she held her breath. Theor did not stir.

With quick, amble fingers she unclasped the chain and pulled out the pendant.

A strength lit up inside her. Bright blue and alive, it occupied her mind, making her feel fearless and all-powerful. She could keep this item, it seemed to whisper. As long as she had it, she could do anything. This small object of wrought gold and magic gave her the chance to solve all of her problems.

She thought of the glint in Theor's eyes, the Colorless boy under the pendant's control, and shook off the temptation. She would not fall into the same trap as her brother. She knew what she had to do.

Unwilling to lose any more time, she hid the pendant under her garments and slipped to the door.

"I'm sorry, Theor," she whispered to her sleeping brother at the desk. "But this was necessary."

With that she left the room and disappeared into the night.

~ ~ ~

The sound of a door opening and closing roused the boy from his daze.