chapter 4

England PoV:

I found you crying by the pond. Your blue eyes glazed over by tears. It was so strange to see you like that. It felt so wrong.

I called out to you. "Hey Frog!"

You turned. You looked straight into my eyes with a pitiful expression and tears running down your pale little face.
"Oh Arthur ..." you let out a small cry with a fresh round of tears.

I automatically ran forward and wrapped my arms around your thin shoulders. I sat down with you as you cried onto my shoulder, talking of people I'd never heard of. I could tell they hurt you. Looking closely, I saw bruises on your face, your hands and your legs...

That's when I promised myself, that when I grow up, I'll be stronger than all of these people you kept talking about.

I was running my fingers through your soft golden hair, lost in my own thoughts, when you suddenly got up.

It was quick. The first time that you pressed your lips to mine. Just a soft brush, like a gentle breeze in Spring. Your eyes were bright again, you had a small silly smile.

I didn't know what to do. I yelled at you, calling you insane.
"I was only thanking you!" you squeak. "That is how you thank people you like."

What? Why would you like me?

"Shut up! You frog! No body likes you here!"
I know by the way you're smirking that my cheeks are red.

"If you don't like me, then why'd you hold me like that?"

"Only returning a favour." I say as coldly as I can.

"But I like you. I want to be your friend."

What?! No way.

"Liar! You are not my friend! Enemy! Enemy! The Frog is my enemy!" I scream, not thinking through.

I can see the hurt in your eyes. You look like you're about to cry again. "Fine then, Eyebrows! We're enemies. I don't even want to be friends with someone as rude as you!" You run off.

I suddenly feel bad.

I feel so angry! How dare you run away like this! Once I grow up, I'll teach you a lesson!

We're enemies.