Chapter 21: Epilogue

England PoV:

Days as as spirit have passed mostly in ease... I cannot travel too far from where I'm buried... But that's fine.

And you... You're cruel.

Why did you come to me after I already left? 

Do you know how much it hurt to hear you crying my name ... 

...Calling my name when I'm right in front, but can't reach out? Can't wrap my arms around you? ... Can't hold you to my chest like I want to...? 

...And then you never come again. Why?

Are you over me finally? ... I hope so...

-×- 

One Morning I find myself in a completely different place from my usual spot in the cemetery...

I can see the deep blue sea from where I stand. I can see stone structures a bit further inwards. 

As I walk over the lush green grass, I feel like I'm in some old memory... It reminds me of childhood ...

...At least, the prettier part of it ...

As I reach the structure, I realise that it's a memorial..

A white marble obelisk with intricately carved floral patterns decorating it's borders.

I begin to read the detailed inscriptions on it ...

Commissioned by the United States of America, Russia and Germany:

In the loving memory of the empires of the past, marking and making a glorious era on the face of this earth, and now on this Island of Dover,

Here lie:

ARTHUR KIRKLAND

&

FRANCIS BONNEFOY

Francis?

Francis is...?

"Arthur... Is that you?" A familiar voice calls out from behind.

I turn around to see the face that has been in my dreams for ages... Your hair flowing behind you in the wind, the grin on your lips widening ...

I see the sparkle in your eyes as you rush to me and wrap your arms around me in an iron grip.

"Arthur! Arthur..."

You keep repeating my name as you begin to cry on my shoulder.

"...Francis."  I mutter as I wrap my arms around you.

We stand in each others arms like that for what feels like eternity... But time no longer means anything to either of us.

You lift your head and look into my eyes... The same blue as the ocean that surrounds us... But much much deeper... And more inviting to drown in...

I gather up the courage I had yet to find in life ... 

... I get up on my toes and wrap my arms around your neck and press my lips to you first.

You kiss back instantly... And... And it's heaven. I press into you harder and you reciprocate with equal vigour ... 

... Why could I not find the courage to do this earlier? 

I open my mouth to you and feel your tongue snake in. It's so warm... I let you explore all corners of my mouth as your hand reaches for my neck, holding it from behind and another hand wraps around my waist. I can't stop the moans from escaping my throat...

When we finally part after what felt like hours... I manage to speak again...

"Francis ... Why...?"

You smile again and take both my hands in yours.

"What's the point of life if there is no enemy worth my time?"

You pull me into another hug and press your  forehead into my shoulder.

"You know Arthur... I love you. I always have. I love you."

I reach for your hair and comb my fingers through it...

"... I... I love you as well Francis ... I never really thought you'd accept me..."

You let out a small giggle... "We were fools."

"Yes, we were. But it isn't really too late to change now is it?" I say.

"... Tell me honestly... Are we enemies?"

"We can't change the past we've lived through already... The world will remember us as enemies... But, we have nothing to do with the world anymore now, do we?"

You press your lips to mine in a quick kiss, like our very first one,"You're right."

-×-×-

Narrator PoV:

"Ivan!!" The American calls out as he lunges at his lover, who easily  catches him and pulls him into a bear hug.

"What is it Alfred?" He asks his writhing lover in a sweet voice.

"KISS!" the smaller demands.

And his demand is met with a long sweet kiss from the cold lips of the Russian. 

But he is pushed away when he leans in for another.

"What happened?" Asked the American

"We're here America."

"Oh, right. Let's go then Russia."

The younger boy rushes off the small yacht, conveniently forgetting the bouquets. 

...

"Do you think they'll like it here?" asks America as they prepare to leave the artificial island in the Dover strait where they built the memorial.

"They'll be very happy here... You should worry about your own happiness too, you know?" 

"I've left that to you Ivan."

"Yes, you have. Good decision Alfred." He says, wrapping an arm around his lover's waist.

They'd make the new world better together. 

Maybe they've been enemies.

... But so have the most passionate lovers 

But they'd be better before it got too late.