Oh God, Merls

- Gwaine 5 Days Later -
Arthur helps Merlin off the horse and a part of my heart twinges at the kindness and love in the action. Merlin lies down and Arthur goes off to find something to hunt and some herbs to fight his fever. I go and find a river to fill up my water skin.

Damn it, they belong together. It's not my place to interfere. If Lin loves him, then let them be happy. I shouldn't get in the way of them, they're perfect for each other. We're about four and a half's ride from Camelot if we ride hard. We can make it.

When I come back, Merlin's convulsing, his eyes in the back of his head.

He's colder than death.

"ARTHUR!" I exclaim, unsure of exactly what to do. "ARTHUR! ARTHUR COME QUICK!" I'm panicking, unable to move.

"Gwaine?" Arthur asks, rabbits in hand. He runs over, stopping short when he sees Merlin. "DON'T JUST STAND THERE DO SOMETHING. HELP ME!"

I can't move as Arthur frantically puts a pillow under his head and tries to wake him up. Arthur recoils when he brushes Merlin's hand.

"He's so cold. GWAINE!" He screams as he gets blankets. "WHAT THE HELL! HELP ME!"

"I..I..I'm sorry." I stammer. "I we..went to get more water and when I..I came back he was sh..shaking."

"YOU LEFT HIM ALONE?!?" Arthur is furious.

"No!" Merlin screams, waking up momentarily. "NO!"

"Hey, hey Merlin. You're okay, you're safe." Arthur smiles in relief. "It was only a dream."

"No, no it wasn't." He frantically says. "It felt the same as last time. Before we were attacked on the Holy Island."

"Okay. Try to get some rest, alright?" Arthur ruffles his hair and motions for me to follow him.

"Gwaine, how long were you gone." Arthur demands, the fury in his eyes again.

"Forty, forty five minutes?" I estimate.

"GWAINE!" He roars.

"Arth? Gwaine?" Merlin calls out. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine, Merls." He calls back.

"Arthur, I didn't mean to leave him alone that long, I swear. I hate this as much as you do." I defend. "You know that I-"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence, Sir Gwaine." Arthur glares.

I raise my hands in defeat. "I'm sorry, sire."

"We need to get going early tomorrow, let's go." Arthur orders.

"Okay."

Arthur rubs Merlin's head and whispers something in his ear, evoking a giggle from the raven. I turn to feed the fire but am cut off by a hacking sound. A spray of dark blood comes from his lips.

"Oh God, Merls."