Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX:

don't leave me hanging on like a yo-yo
________________________________________

"GRILLED CHEESE AGAIN?" Mario teases taking a seat across from Maria in the cafeteria. She rolled her eyes, sticking her tongue out at him. A grilled cheese was the best way to go, especially with the shitty food the school's cafeteria offered. Despite Berkeley being a rather prestigious school, the food definitely wasn't up to par.

The two talked and joked, both poking fun about each other's taste in meals, drinks, and desserts. It was like the awkward 48 hours didn't happen. Maria felt foolish for ever trying to put up walls and look for problems where there wasn't any.

"So let's get down to business." Mario said clapping his hands together. Their empty cups and plates were pushed aside now. "We all know why I really came here for—my sweats."

"Oh is that the real reason now?" Maria teased back shaking her head. Mario held his hands up in defeat. She quickly pulled her backpack on the table and took out his sweatpants and sweatshirt. She kept them folded nicely, and slowly she pushed them across the table. "What do I get in return?"

"Unlimited access to my panini maker?" Mario offered taking his clothes and tossing them into his bag. He smiled at her, amused with her antics.

"I can think of something better."

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOUR favorite flavor is mint chocolate chip? Like what the fuck?" Mario exclaimed taking a spoonful of his classic chocolate ice cream. The two sat at an empty ice parlor a few blocks from the campus. Maria was quite proud that she was able to swindle Mario in buying her a treat. Maria shrugged taking a bite of her waffle cone.

"Says the guy eating chocolate with rainbow sprinkles. What are you five?" She bickered back rolling her eyes. Mario mocked her making ugly faces at her, only making Maria more frustrated. They went back and forth at each other, seemingly entertaining the workers behind the counter. As Maria went to eat more of her ice cream, Mario pushed her hands into her face—causing her ice cream to smear all over her face.

Maria squealed, repeating a lot of 'I can't believe you' and 'ohmygod!'. Mario chuckled pulling his scoop away from the table and ultimately out of Maria's reach. Abruptly he stood up and ran out of the establishment, making Maria chose after him. Her ice cream was long gone now, tossed in a nearby bin as he ran strong with his. He had led her all the way back towards the school and dorms, specifically his. She gasped leaning against the interior walls while Mario seemed unaffected from running.

He tossed his empty cup in a hall trash bin and smirked at Maria.

"Fuck you," She spat leaning over, really wished she could sit down.

"You'd love too wouldn't you?" If she wasn't too busy dying, Maria definitely would have made him eat those words. Rather instead she held up her middle finger, and slid down the wall.

Slightly concerned for his friend, he joined her on the floor.

"Are you okay?" He asked resting on her leg. Maria shook her head shaking. She was never really was one to run, or jog. Physical education was also her lowest class grade too. And it wasn't for the fact that she wasn't in shape nor fit, she just had bad asthma.

Thankfully she wasn't having a coughing fit, but she felt one coming on. Slightly panicked, Mario ran off to go grab her a water. A moment later he returned and passed her the cold bottle. After nearly drinking the whole bottle, she glared at him.

He definitely knew how to push her buttons.

After seeing her calm down and turn back into her spiteful self, Mario too, relaxed. They sat in the hallway for a few minutes longer just talking.

"Can I ask you something?" Mario asked suddenly. Maria licked her lips nervously nodding. "Why did you ignore me—not that it bothered me." He cleared his throat. She rolled her eyes playfully.

"I didn't come here to get caught in this." Maria said truthfully. "You already know my plans, and you know that I want to focus solely on it." Her face fell. She really didn't want her priorities to change, but maybe she could still focus on her career and make time for Mario? Even if they remain friends. "But for some reason I can't help but want you with me every step of the way."

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Wow! I can't believe I'm almost at a 100 favorites for this story! I definitely couldn't even imagine getting 50 favorites on this story.

While writing this chapter alone I went from like 60 to 90! Wow!!! I'm so honored—thank you!  Thank you to all whose read, favorited, and commented! Definitely check out my other OMB stories! Sorry for the chapter being so dry and short, things will start really picking up in the next one.