Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN:

alright stop! collaborate and listen
________________________________________

MARIA APPRECIATED Amber's poor attempt in comforting her. She flashed her a grim smile, laying a hand on hers. For the first time since moving in, the two girls shared a moment that wasn't full of sarcasm, satire, or annoyance. Amber quickly stood up, and excused herself to get the papers to sign Maria out—which ultimately left the estranged couple alone.

She stayed quiet, unsure of how to talk to Mario. It was obvious that he saw all the papers and pamphlets confirming her current, worst fear. Maria could see him overthinking—and she knew he was also an overly sensitive dude. Maria tried not to let him worry her, she needed to start reading her options before she made any attempt in contacting her very religious, very Hispanic family.

Her eyes scanned over the words 'abortion' again. For some reason it left a bad taste. Maria, being liberal—and a proud feminist knew that abortion shouldn't be a stigmatized thing. Woman were in control of their own bodies, and she felt ashamed for those who were refused abortions because of state laws. She knew in California abortions were thankfully, legal. And until about 22 to 24 weeks pregnant, she'd have the opportunity to consider the option.

It was her body, her choice—but she did wonder what Mario thought about it. Was he disappointed? Was he scared? Would he want the baby?

MAN, HIS MOM WAS GOING to kill him. Mario can clearly remember all the conversations she had with him about practicing safe sex. He was an adult, she couldn't necessarily stop him from having sex, but she could try to advise him to be safe.

He had one rule to follow and he broke it.

What was his Abuelita going to think? She was suddenly going to be a great grandma! Mario cringed thinking about the amount of lecturing he would be getting from everyone—even the twins.

"Are you mad?" He looked up seeing Maria, sad and scared. Mario bit his lip and ran a hand through his hair for the umpteenth time. He nervously approached her bed side, taking a seat right on covers. Maria kept her head down, obviously embarrassed—and unsure of what to do, Mario hugged her.

He could tell that she blamed herself, but he, too, was at fault. They were both mature and responsible adults and they would figure out what to do—together. Maria leaned into him, shaking and crying quietly. He ran a hand up and down her back.

"I'm not mad," he said eventually. "I'm scared as hell though." Mario admitted sheepishly. She laughed for the first tome since being admitted to the hospital. "Whatever you chose to do with...them...I'll support you." He reaches down to grab her hand loosely, he pulled it up and place a kiss along her fingers.

Maria nodded and sighed, shutting her eyes tightly.

A knock on the door disrupted them, Amber wandered back in holding a clipboard of papers.

"We should get working on these."

AFTER AN HOUR, Maria was back in her dorm room. Thankfully Mario had brought his car to the hospital, so they wouldn't have to take the bus. Maria laid in her bed for the first time in a few days, and it was well needed. She still felt oddly exhausted but that could have been from crying.