Chapter Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT:

this is what it sounds like when dove's cry
________________________________________

PRINCE BLASTED LOUDLY in Maria's headphones. It was nearly two days later and Maria finally going to the store. Call it overdue, but Maria was confident she wasn't pregnant.

Thankfully it wasn't too far from campus—maybe a twenty minute walk. And seeing how the weather was nice (as per usual), Maria chose to walk rather than take the bus.

When she finally arrive to the small pharmacy she noticed it was abnormally packed. The parking lot was overflowing with cars and their were multiple missing carriages. She scowled, Maria was hoping to not have to buy it in front of too many people. Call it a pride or anxiety issue if you must. She entered the store, grabbing a small basket on her way.

Amber and her did just run out of shampoo, so it would be good to pick it up while she was out. Maria cased the aisles picking up a few other necessities: lotions, pens, a gallon of water.

Eventually Maria found herself in that aisle. Maybe she was kind of prolonging actually going to it, but ultimately she had to. She scanned passed the dozens of pregnancy tests—all promising the same things at very different prices. A few seconds into searching she finally came across the last minute contraceptives.

Maria grabbed the first box, quickly turning it over and reading through the directions, ingredients, and disclaimers.

She sighed in frustration picking up another box. None of them offered what she needed. All were fast acting, day-after pills. Maria was fucked—literally. She blinked back tears. Maybe she was just overreacting? She kept telling herself she was fine, but know she wasn't sure. Some type of doubt and anxiety was clearly eating at her.

The almost couple were using protection now (because she asked), and as she expected Mario was completely fine with it.

Why wouldn't he?

Despite pregnancy being a risk of unprotected sex, many sti's could be spread too. Not that she was worried about her own hygiene, she was squeaky clean—and Mario was too. Just the considering all the risks, it didn't seem worth it.

Maria pulled out her phone and quickly unlocked it. She scrolled through it trying to find her calendar. She usually recorded her periods. Maybe it could give her some more insight.

Her blood ran cold as she saw she was overdue.

The first rational idea that popped in her head was that maybe she was late? She knew occasionally her time of the month could randomly change—it wasn't uncommon or unheard of. It was natural for all women's cycles to occasionally hiccup unprovoked.

But Maria knew with her luck, this was a sign.

She took a big, shaky breath. Her palms suddenly felt clammy and her chest tight. Suddenly realization of how naive and idiotic she was in not using protection—twice. And especially for refusing her roommates help.

Maria could only imagine her family's disappointment if she's really pregnant. Her, a first generation college student returning home not even a full semester in because she was stupid. There would go her plans to become President (or Governor)—she had no backup plans.