14 - RUN

"I can't shoot that good with my left hand." I complain to Carl before rolling my eyes. "Bastard's shot my right shoulder, can't move my hand properly."

Carl sighed along with me. "I hate that guy for shooting you. I hate the Governor."

I chuckled. "Yeah, me too. He sucks. Ever since he came, I've gone through a series of bad luck."

"You need to get some rest while you can," Carl tells me sternly. "I'm not gonna let you fight out there while you're still hurt."

"Carl, I appreciate that, but I can handle myself." I tell him, before facing him and sitting leg-crossed.

He looks at me with this hard expression on his face. "I know you can, Farren, but I don't want you risking your life again."

"As long as the Governor's alive, everyone's lives are at risk." I snapped. "You and I both know you can't stop me from fighting this battle."

Carl sighs, his head hanging down. I feel guilty for snapping at him, but he needs to know that I don't need him to worry about me all the damn time. I can handle myself, I may have been reckless for the past couple of days, but I know that I can handle myself.

"Sorry. I just don't want to loose you." He says quietly, making my face soften. I promised myself that I'm not gonna push him away again.

So, I take his hand in mine and squeeze it, then he squeezes back. "I'm sorry too. I don't wanna loose you too, Carl. You're my best friend."

He looks up at me and smiles, before Beth comes in our cell. She notices our hands and hid a smirk, which I saw. I rolled my eyes. She's just like my mom.

"Andrea's leaving." She told us and we nod, before standing up.

Carl and I let go of each other hands then proceeded to leave the cell. Outside, there's everyone. There's a spare car that Rick let Andrea have. She looks around then, she hopped inside the car. Before she could leave, Rick hands her a gun. Her gun.

"Be careful." He told her.

"You, too."

— later

Rick calls me and Carl over. It's sundown, there hasn't been much happening since Andrea left. All they did was talk about the Governor and what we do when he attacks.

"I need you two on watch for tonight." Rick tells us once we reach him. "Can you do that?"

Carl and I glance at each other before nodding. "Sure."

Rick nods as well, then he looks at Carl. "Get the guns, give Farren one."

Carl nods before Rick walks away. My best friend told me to wait for him, so I sat on this picnic bench or whatever you call it. Minutes later, Carl comes back with two rifles in his hands.

"A quick reminder, I'm not a good shot with rifles." I tell Carl and then grabbed a rifle from his hand.

"It's easy." Carl chuckles. Of course it's easy for him, he's the good shot between us. "It's like firing a handgun, only bigger."

"I just hope there aren't snipers." I mumbled to myself, thinking of my wounded shoulder.

Night falls and Carl and I are still on guard.

"Hey," we both turn around and saw my mom, holding two bowls in her hands, and sandwiching two water bottles in her arms and sides. "I brought you two dinner."

I smiled at my mom before taking the bowl she gave. I also grabbed a water bottle as Carl does the same.

"Thanks." We tell her then we start eating.

"Will you two be okay here?" My mom asked the both of us and we nod.

"We will. Thanks Carol." Carl says.

My mom nods, giving me a hug for a second, before pulling away and going back inside. Carl and I eat while still looking out.

"Do you think we'll beat him?" Carl suddenly asked, making me look at him. "The Governor, I mean."

I shrugged lightly. "I honestly don't know. I don't wanna speak too soon, but I hope we will."

"Do you think if this never happened—if the world's never gone to this, would we have meet?"

I stopped at the sudden deep question. I haven't really thought about that. Carl and I didn't went to the same school, we may have live in the same city, but we went to different schools. We only met at that highway, when Shane took us in.

"I don't know." I answered honestly. "I mean, maybe, maybe not. If we're really destined to meet, then we would."

Carl nods, understanding what I'm saying. A lot of bad things happened at the end of the world, but at least some good things came out of it. I met Carl and I have a new family.

"What about you?" I asked him, setting the half finished bowl of food down.

He shrugs. "I don't know too. In some way, I'm glad we ended up in that high way, even though a lot of bad things happened."

I smiled, a genuine one.

We then heard footsteps from behind us, and we both turned to see Rick.

"You two better get some rest." He said to us. "We're going on a run tomorrow. You two, me and Michonne."

The usual excitement on going on runs didn't come anymore as I remembered the last time I went on a run. "Is my mom okay with it?"

Rick nods. "She is."

I nod before Carl and I stand up. The three of us got back inside the cellblock, where everybody else was in and cleaning up. I said goodnight to my mom and everyone, and then Carl and I got inside our cell.

"Let's hope I don't get kidnapped tomorrow." I joked before I try to climb up at the top.

"Hey, you can sleep here for now." Carl says and I look at him. "So you don't have to struggle—"

"I'll be alright." I tell him before I climb up the top, hiding the wince as I move my right shoulder. It doesn't hurt that much, but I need to move it or I won't be able to move it at all.

Once I removed my boots and laid down, I let out a sigh of relief.

"Goodnight." I say to Carl before I hear him say the same seconds later.

———

so we have no wifi, i'm on data mode rn and it's rainy season in my country ugh.

also, i have a second acc exoravenscorpio i would really appreciate it if u could maybe give it a follow :)