Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty - Without You

Two Months Later.

Asher Antonov's P.O.V.

"How are we on the construction of new homes?" I ask, looking over the file Reggie handed me.

"Right on track, the survivors have formed a new clan. They've sent the paperwork for approval and we can work on moving them into a new building." He replies, setting down another folder.

"And the people that were in our guest home?" I mutter, signing the papers before handing it back to him.

"We'll have them all moved into the eastern region within the week." 

I nod in satisfaction, taking another page from the pile of paperwork that's pending for me. Silence ensues and Reggie sits there as I sign some documents. I can tell that he wants to say something but I also know what it will be and the answer, like always, will be no.

"Asher..."

"Why do you try, Uncle?"

"They're relying on you, they need reassurance from their king." He argues, making me frustrated.

"I am not leaving Ayla's side! End of discussion!" I growl, slamming my fist down onto my desk. 

"It's been two months Asher, next week will be the third. Don't you think it's time to move –"

"Get out!" I snarl thunderously, standing from my seat. "It's been two months, not two years!"

"She isn't responding to the healing anymore, I'm just saying –"

"Leave!" I roar, my guards running in and taking him out of the room.

Slumping in my seat once the door closes, I lean back and look up at the ceiling in defeat. My eyes burn and I struggle to keep my emotions at bay, wanting to remain positive for the sake of my Ayla. It's almost the end of two months now and she still hasn't woken up. Everyone around me is holding onto hope but I can see it in their eyes that it's waning.

Sage is still at the castle and although Helios came and tried to convince her to go back home, as per my request, she refuses to leave me. As a result, Helios stayed too which pisses me off beyond belief. We aren't exactly buddies and seeing him roam around my castle infuriates me.

However, Reggie is the only one who's been getting on my nerves and today he exceeded all limits. Telling me to move on from Ayla! I scoff, my fists clenching. I should've ripped his heart out then and there but his history with my parents stopped me. I took over again after the first month, so it's not like I'm ignoring my duties to my people. I believe Ayla will wake up soon and until then I will not be leaving the castle. It's not selfish in my mind either, she matters much more to me and I'd give up my title in an instant for her.

A knock sounds on the door and Sage peeks in with worried eyes. I groan out an "I'm fine" but she doesn't believe me, like usual. She closes the door and places a glass of blood on my desk, my nose scrunching in distaste at the smell of it. I haven't been drinking enough and it's been taking a toll on me, but all I want is my beloved's vein instead.

"Drink." She glares at me, sliding it over.

Huffing, I take a few sips while she halves the paperwork. Ever since I regained control over everything, Sage has been helping with my duties as much as possible so that I can spend more time with Ayla in the evenings. She isn't responding well to healing anymore, it was late at night yesterday when Sasha reported to me about it.