Mas Adelante - Chapter Eight

"Where's Jamal?"

Monse looked up from the floor, "he just left, I think he said something about working late at his dads tonight."

"Oh my god." She groaned, turning around to walk away.

"Hey Lola?" Monse stood, wringing her hands. "I'm sorry I told Cesar, it wasn't my place."

"But yet you did it anyway." She folded her arms, "cross me again and you're gonna regret it."

Monse's eyebrows pulled together as she walked out of Ruby's house, down the sidewalk.

"Oh hey Lola." Ruby ran up, hugging her with one arm, "what are you doing here?"

"I was looking for Jamal. But he's never where people tell me he is so I'm just going home." She shrugged an arm, "where you coming from?"

"I just walked him to work, he's scared to walk alone."

Lola chuckled softly, walking him toward the door. "Hey, I wanted to talk to you about something." She nodded for him to go on so he did.

"Angelo." He said, "is you being with him really the smartest move? I mean, you're an amazing girl and he's a.." he thought, "a thug."

Lola stared at him, "why is everyone so against me being with Angelo?" She huffed, "why cant I just be happy with whoever I want?"

"Don't get me wrong." He shook his head, "if you're happy then I'm happy." She pouted her lips, tilting her head. "But it's dangerous, I wouldn't want you to get hurt."

"I'm Oscar's sister." She laughed, "My life's in danger just walking down the street."

Ruby sighed, "you're not getting it."

"Oh I get it." She nodded, "you're jealous."

"I am not." He crossed his arms, "Ruben doesn't get jealous."

"But Ruby does." She nudged him, and he blushed.

"I can't help it." He looked down at his feet, "I like you Lola."

"I know." She grinned, "I like you too Ruby."

"But." He began, swallowing. "I don't want to mess with Spooky like that, I'm already scared he's going to read my mind and know we slept together."

Lola folded her arms over her chest, mocking him with an amused smile. "Why are you so afraid of him?"

"Um hello?" He hit his head as if it was obvious, "have you not seen the tattoo on his face?"

She sucked her teeth, "I feel like if you gave him a chance you'd be very good friends."

Ruby shook his head quickly.

"Come on," she gave him puppy eyes, pouting her bottom lip out. "Talk to him, bebe, for me?"

"What am I suppose to say to him?" Ruby panicked, "I don't want to offend him or anything, I like my face this way."

"I like your face this way too, chulo." She pinched his chin, leaning forward to place a kiss on the side of his mouth, "if you talk to him, we can see about getting you a round two."

He anxiously shut his eyes, opening them when she pulled away.

He began to nod, "I'll talk to him."

"Yeah?" She licked her lips, holding his hand.

He continued nodding, faster now. "Yeah."

The next morning, Ruby did just that. He marched down the street, his heart pounding, his ears ringing.

"Hey." Lola smiled, hopping off of the ledge of their patio, she pulled a cherry lollipop from her lips, "you're here."

"I'm here." He nodded, "I don't think we should be seen talking to each other, I wouldn't want Oscar to get the wrong idea."

She stepped forward, kissing his lips and whispering in his ear, "Oscar me la pela."

He jumped back quickly, swallowing nervously.

She laughed, leaning against the wall behind her.

"Where is he?"

She nodded her head toward the fence gate, "in the back." She stood straight, picking her back pack up from the step, "see you at school, goodluck papi." She winked, sticking the candy back in her mouth.

Ruby prayed as she walked away, then he made his way through the backyard.

He cleared his throat, and Oscar looked up from the bike chain he was fixing. "Can I help you?"

"I.. I'm Ruby."

He stood from his squatted position, wiping the oil from his hands with a white rag. "And?"

"I wanted to talk to you about Lola."

Oscar's face completely changed as he laughed, "what'd she do now?"

"Um..."

"No don't tell me." He shook his head, "she broke your window? Kicked your dog? Uh... your face don't look bruised so she didn't hit you." He examined him, "what'd she do, get you pregnant?"

Ruby shook his head softly and Oscar laughed, placing a bucket in front of him. "Then whats up?"

Ruby sat and Oscar continued messing with the chain on the bike, looking up every once in while whilst Ruby spoke.

"She's my friend." He said, "she's been going through a tough time and I just wanted to let you know."

"Tough time?" He squinted his eyes, confused. "How could she have it tough when I give her everything she wants?"

Ruby sighed, "I think it has to do with her foster parents and what they did to her."

"Mmm." He hummed, "which part?"

"The part where her adoptive father would abuse her..."

Oscar looked up, his eyes going dark.

"And take advantage of her."

"What did you just say?" He stood, causing Ruby to shrink, terrified.

"I- I-"

"You need to go." Oscar demanded, "now."

"Yes sir." He stood, running away.

Oscar stood up, staring at the ground with his jaw clenched. How could he have been so blind? That's why she was acting out. That's why she did what she did, the drugs, the drinking, the parties and the sneaking out. She was screaming for Oscar's attention and he didn't give it to her. He felt like a horrible brother, he was there to protect her and instead he let CPS take her.

He sat, tears forming in his eyes. He couldn't believe someone could hurt his baby sister so bad, he couldn't believe she was able to sleep at night holding all of that in, dealing with it by herself.

He pulled out his phone, dialing Cesar's number.

"Hey." Cesar spoke, clearing his throat. "What's up hermano?"

"Cesar come home." He ran a hand down his face. "We need to talk about your sister."